Sign in to follow this  
Dragonmount

Why am I landing too early?

I've been practicing my ILS approaches with the Real Air Legacy, and twice now I've landed far too early and the only answer I can come up with is either I am hitting the GS at the wrong angle, or I am coming in with too little speed or could it be both?

Apch speed with full flaps and gear around 90-100 kts... Touchdown speed around 80-85.

If you're on glide slope you can't be wrong hehe.

Rule of thumb once you get the apch lights- 3 degree glide slope = ground speed divided by 2 (add a zero) to find your required descent rate. Example at 100 kts you would need -500 fpm descent rate on a 3 deg glide path.

Another handy rule of thumb.., on a std 3deg GP, each mile on the ils means you'll have to lose about 300 ft.

Finally don't judge your touchdown spot solely from the PAPI's as the glide slope and those lights rarely matchup in FSX (sometimes they don't even matchup in real world).

On an ILS you'd typically touchdown around the first 1/5 - 1/4 of the runway....

I can't remember exactly what the markings are but you certainly don't land on the numbers following and ILS.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Well I am landing well before the runway and in occasion running into the barrier that is before the runway at KGSP, thanks for the suggestions.

Then the glide slope is wrong in FSX. Are you sure you're following the glide slope correctly ? The approach plate tells you minimums but typically mins are 200 ft AGL.

What runway ill check it tomorrow...

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I think I was going down too fast, I flew to KCLT with the previous suggestion and it worked fine. I'll try the same approach at gsp again.

I was taught once visual with the field use the picture outside for left/right guidance then once a bit lower use the papis for up/down guidance. Every once in a while glance inside to check speed and rate of descent. At very low heights chasing the localiser and glideslope needles is a sure fire way to end up with a roller coaster ride. Big deflections can occur even if you're only a matter of a 10 feet or so high/low/off centre.