Sign in to follow this  
Guest ThrottleUp

Here's a weird one?????

I have never seen anything on this one. I am running FS9 on Windows XP For the first year or so, my profile(owner) has beer the only one to use it. Couple of months ago my daugther was bit by the aviation bug, so I put a shortcut to the FS9.exe file on her profiles startbar. No problems. Was like having to games on one computer, I had my settings she had hers, The way its supposed to work. Now today. Using her profile when clicking her shortcut, approx 5 to 10 seconds after the splash screen appears FS9 CTD. But my side still works. No problem I thought, re-do her profile. No joy. I have now copied the shortcut I use, to hers, no joy. Made a new shortcut off the fs9.exe file and put on her profile, no joy. Have even copied the folder that the fs9.cfg flie on my profile to hers, no joy. Have even tried putting a shortcut on a third profile, no joy. The owner's profile is the only profile that can successfully run FS9. This is a weird one. Now some particulars... UsingWindows XPFS9.1 WITHOUT the no-cd crack.After getting this far in the post, and talking with Daugther, can not confirm if she last used FS9 before or after 9.1 patch was installed. So I guess I will go unistall and see what happens. Somehow though don't really think that's the problem.EDIT: Nope 9.1 NOT the problem, uninstalled and still same as above only working on owner's profile and CTD on all others.

:-outta

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".- unknown
"My daddy gives me up, to fight for you"- a US Military Members Child

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Im not positive on this one but I suspect that its got something to do with Windows XP Administrator privileges. Its a wild guess but I think somehow FS9 has been assigned permission so that it will only run from your (the Administrator) profile and to fix this you need to make FS9 available to all users.If I remember right during setup there was a screen that XP throws at you asking something along the lines of: Do you want to make this available to Administrator only or to everyone?Like I said I doubt this is the problem and someone better versed in XP might clarify but you might just look into it - I've had programs that refused to run because I needed to have Admin privileges.Go to Start>Settings>Control Panel>User Accounts>Change An AccountNow see if it says "Computer Administrator", "Guest" or "Limited" under your aduaghters profile name.--------Or you can go to your daughters profile, press WINDOWS + E to bring up Windows Explorer, navigate to your FS9 folder and try a start from there.Good luck :)

Did you delete every file out of the profile directory:c:documents and settings*username*application datamicrosoftfs9I have a problem from time to time where a file in there prevents fs9 from starting properly (not the fs9.cfg). I think it is wxstationlist.bin or something similar. Anyway I just delete them out and let the program re-create them.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Windoze.I'm an IT professional since 20 years now, but that's what I have all days!I'm pretty sure FS doesn't need special rights and permissions: I have mine set up so any normal user account can use it. And, I have tweaked WinXP SP2 to the maximum (including various registry changes), almost nothing is running in the background (except the RPC daemon and such things, of course), and the filesystem is thightened to not allow anyone alter anything here, so is the registry to avoid key manipulation.And my FS works flawlessly. Still. This doesn't mean it does tomorrow or the day after tommorrow, or next week...I don't do any 'critical' things on my gaming PC. But as certainly as sun will raise tommorrow, I definitely will see the day when FS will not work anymore. Without having me done something special. But FS will cease to work. that's for sure (had this in the past, and I will have this in the future).That's where a re-install of XP comes into play. A well exercised routine, I have my winnt.sif file at hand (make sure to download the bleeding-edge drivers first)...My 2 centsAndreasP.S: Should mean: you're faster re-installing the OS and FS2004 than investigating where the error is. My advice is that if you don't find anything after 1hr, re-install. You then have a much cleaner system than before. Doing things here and there to see if they help probably make things even worse...