Sign in to follow this  
Vulkan

Add scenery or afcads on a different hard drive?

Is it possible to add scenery or afcads that is not placed in the FSX-Add on-folder? I have FSX on a SSD and I want to save space there by installing extra stuff on my second hard drive. 

Can I just leave the add-on scenery or add on AFCAD on the second hard drive and guide FSX there through the scenery library in FSX?

Yes....I have Fsx spread out on 5 different drives..I created folders such as "US AIRPORTS","CANADIAN AIRPRTS",etc. and you can add them thru the scenery library..You also can use a great tool called "Junction Link Magic"...Do a search and read up on it.Works great!!..

Can I just leave the add-on scenery or add on AFCAD on the second hard drive and guide FSX there through the scenery library in FSX?

Yes, very much so - you can put add-on scenery anywhere you wish really, and simply add it via the scenery library.

You also can use a great tool called "Junction Link Magic"...

While I use junction links so as to have multiple-yet-self-contained FSX installs, it would be overkill for simply organizing scenery, imo.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Thanks for the reply!

I tried to install an AFCAD on a second hard drive, but my scenery library wouldn't find it. It was a pair of BGL-files. However, I put the in the ADD-ON-SCENERY and then it worked (without having to go through the scenery library),

So my conclusion is that complete add-on-scenery are OK to put anywhere, but AFCAD BGL has to be placed in the add-on-scenery folder. Am I correct?

Thanks for the reply!

I tried to install an AFCAD on a second hard drive, but my scenery library wouldn't find it. It was a pair of BGL-files. However, I put the in the ADD-ON-SCENERY and then it worked (without having to go through the scenery library),

So my conclusion is that complete add-on-scenery are OK to put anywhere, but AFCAD BGL has to be placed in the add-on-scenery folder. Am I correct?

No...Put the afcad file on any drive you want then when you srart FSX,go to the sdd scenery page and at the top there will be a box with the "addon scenery" folder showing..Click on the arrow at the right side of the box and you can navigate to your afcad location...Just be sure that your afcad .bgl is in a "scenery" folder..Such as KATL/scenery/KATL.BGL

No...Put the afcad file on any drive you want then when you srart FSX,go to the sdd scenery page and at the top there will be a box with the "addon scenery" folder showing..Click on the arrow at the right side of the box and you can navigate to your afcad location...Just be sure that your afcad .bgl is in a "scenery" folder..Such as KATL/scenery/KATL.BGL

Hmm. That is what I thought I did, but obviously I didn't because it didn't work. I have to try again.

It does work....I just built a new rig with SSD,s and needed to spread out my FSX..It is over 250Gbs...If you do a search,it has been discussed numerous times..As I said,just be sure that the .bgl files are in a "scenery" folder..You can name it whatever you like..

Ok thanks! That scenery folder thing is probalby why it didn't work. Thanks!