Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tom Allensworth

MAAM Visit This Last Weekend

This last Saturday I visited the Mid Atlantic Air Museum with two retired U.S. Coast Guard Captains and a retired USCG Admiral. All were former H-52 pilots and all had commands of squadrons and eventually bases, or in the case of the Admiral, the 7th District.

Anyway, I originally planned to go up there to photograph progress on the P-61 restoration and catch up with the other works in progress at the museum. The Coast Guard folk attended with me to look over the H-52 (a single engine Sikorsky helicopter similar to the U.S. Navy's twin engine SH-3). The reason they wanted a look-see was to assess the MAAM H-52 for a possible deal with MAAM to acquire the 52 for display at the USCG museum. At the end of the look over, they concluded that the existing H-52 that they do have is in better shape.

I was able to get some photos, which you can view in my gallery here:

http://forum.avsim.net/gallery/album/136-maam-visit-july-2013/

Note the progress on the P-61. The last time I saw her, she was in the restoration shed without skin, spars, wing stubs, or much of anything else for that matter. That was during our convention there in 2003. She's come a long long way.

Here are some shots of her that you will find larger versions by clicking on these images.

DSC 0069 12

DSC 0066 12

DSC 0063 12

DSC 0062 12

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Have you been to the Military Aviation Museum in Virginia Beach?

Have you been to the Military Aviation Museum in Virginia Beach?

I am embarrassed to say; no. And I live in Charlottesville, not three hours away.