Sign in to follow this  
VeryBumpy

The fine Constellation, will it back up?

Lockheed L-749 Constellation from Classic Propliners is very comprehensive but one thing I can't figure out.

Readme states "Note that our Connie is a FS9-native model, hence subject to certain restrictions when flown in FSX. Specifically, the reversing lights on the glareshield panel may not work (right-click the reversing levers instead)."

Well I can rightclick those reversing levers all day long and they don't engage the reverse. F2 does not work either.

I don't see a special shortcut key in FSX to engage reverse either.

Don't suppose any fine classic fan in here has this plane installed and can tell me if reversers are working for them?

Great plane btw.

picture1.jpg

Hi,

There is a difference between the 2D panel and the VC (in Fsx).

In the 2d panel:
-LEFT clicking on the reverse LIGHTS engages 70% reverse

-Setting POWER then (F3) permits to go up to 100% 
-Left clicking again on the lights (or F1) disengages reverse

In the VC it's a bit  more complicated :
-first set idle power (F1)
-then RIGHT click on the KNOBS of the reverse Levers, this sets 1% Reverse
-then set POWER (F3) to have the wanted reverse (up to 100%)
-to disengage Reverse set Idle Power (F1)

This works in the VC with the L-1049 and L-1649, but NOT with the L-749.

I think this is due to the fact that for some unknown reason  the Power can not be set completly to idle in the L-749. With F1 Power remains at 3%.

So for the L-749 one must use the 2d panel to set Reverse.

Agree, Great planes !  :smile:

Guy

Hi again ,

My guess was right, the problem with the L-749 is the too high idle throttle.

In the aircraft.cfg set MIN_THROTTLE_LIMIT = 0.00990 (Instead of 0.0300).

This way, if after setting idle power you right click the reverser lever knobs in the VC, REVERSE will be engaged.

This solution is also given in this thread about the same problem:

(10th response by Sunny9850)

(Btw , in the L-1049 Min_throttle_limit is also set to 0.00990 and in the L-1649 it is 0.00000 ) 

Guy

Ok, your suggestion did work, sort of. Editing the .cfg file to the lower idle value does allow reversing to engage (lights go on and reverse levers jump a bit) BUT when I apply the throttle for maximum reverse the plane pushes and moves forward, not rearward.

Here Reverse works on the L-749, but ONLY if I am in forward movement !

It doesn't work from  standstill. (Reverse from standstill results in a slow forward movement effectively)

Don't know why. On the L-1049/1649 it works also from standstill.

With the L-749 I aborted  take-off now at about 50 kts, engaged reverse and set full power.

The plane slowed down and then began to roll backwards. 

(same behaviour as L-1049)

Thanks.

Guy

Thank you very much for your help!!! 

Indeed if I go forward first for a bit then engage full reverse the plane does slow down quickly then come to a complete stop. It does not get pushed rearwards at all but I think that may be because I don't have the taxi patch installed.

Anyway, considering the few anomalies, I've decided to ditch the 749 for now and am downloading the the 1049.

Don't know why. On the L-1049/1649 it works also from standstill.

Not sure I fully understand this statement.

So from a standstill, does your installed 1049 go forward or backwards when reversers are at 100%?

I just installed the 1049 and for me from a standstill, it goes forward when reversers are engaged.   :(   Just like the edited 749.

So from a standstill, does your installed 1049 go forward or backwards when reversers are at 100%?

Here the L-1049 goes backwards from standstill already with only 15-20% Reverse.

Guy

Hmm, maybe I bunged up the install of the L-1049. Convoluted lots of files to install and change.

Here the L-1049 goes backwards from standstill already with only 15-20% Reverse.

Guy

Wow, not even close. I can get the reversers to engage from a standstill but only engages reverse about 25% of the time, most of the time it goes forward. When reversers do engage, no way 20% is enough; 100% throttle barely starts the plane moving.

Not sure what's going on here and its getting me upset.

So you have zero problems engaging reverse from a standstill 100% of the time and only takes 20% reverse throttle to easily backup the plane?

I'm using the L-1049G, wonder if plane model makes a difference.

Ok figuring part of it out. Depends GREATLY where you are with the plane if it will go backwards or not. KLAX gate moves fine. Switch to the runway and the plane barely moves.

Did some more testing now.

My conclusion: here for all models (749/1049/1649) BACKWARDS ROLLING on Reverse (from Standstill and also Forward movement) works ONLY if there is HEAD WIND .  It doesn't work if the wind is coming from the rear.
Example: you are on runway 25, nose pointed 250°
to make Powerback work, Wind direction must be somewhere between 160° and 340° (I made the tests with winds of 8 kts.)

Never had noticed this before.  I used the planes mainly for flying.
After all that's what they are made for !  :smile:

Guy

LOL, didn't think of that. How odd. Will try this for myself later to confirm.