HI,

I'm interested in buying a new computer for my fsx.This computer will be under 1500$,it will work perfectly with fsx and with any simulator games.Another thing is that it will not be built!.i know that building a computer is much cheaper and better but i do not feel like doing that so please let me know what computers you recommend!

Thanks

Daniel

HI,

I'm interested in buying a new computer for my fsx.This computer will be under 1500$,it will work perfectly with fsx and with any simulator games.Another thing is that it will not be built!.i know that building a computer is much cheaper and better but i do not feel like doing that so please let me know what computers you recommend!

Thanks

Daniel

Don't worry, building your own is no longer "much cheaper." That was the case years ago before discount gaming pc manufacturers sprouted up all over the place. My suggestion would be to visit Jetline Systems' webpage and configure a system there following their advice (perhaps supplemented by the advice available on Word Not Allowed's FSX/P3D Hardware and Software blog). Then take that list of parts over to Cyberpower and build the same system.

A few keys to live by:

1. Don't go cheap on the CPU. You don't need the best Intel has to offer, but this will be the greatest source of performance boost.

2. Whatever CPU you get, overclock it. If you don't feel like doing the overclock yourself, pay Cyberpower to do it for you. My 3770-K came from Cyberpower with a hassle free absolutely stable 30% overclock to 4.6.

3. Invest in a dedicated SSD for FSX. Get another dedicated SSD for your operating system, too, if you can swing it. Otherwise, just put FSX and Windows 7 on the same SSD. Everything else, throw on a good data drive.

4. Don't get swindled into Windows 8. Stick with W7 64 bit.

Beyond that, follow the other advice from Jetline and Word Not Allowed, and you'll be a happy camper.

Edit: And when the beast finally arrives, resist every temptation you might have to just thumb through the countless tweak archives and hodgepodge suggestions you find in the forums. Instead, grab Word Not Allowed's guide, and follow it TO THE LETTER to install and configure FSX.

Does nobody want to look at Laptops? I say this because they're very underrated and I believe they're moving up fast. I personally got one because I needed the portability - but it hasn't removed much power. Sure I had to sacrifice some detail on the terrain/water - but I've worked it out so the aircraft gets full detail and quality. This is hooked up to a 1920x1080 monitor too. My Asus is a year old now and for what I paid, you can get a laptop for the same price that'll run FSX like a pretty 'average' PC in this community at 3GHz+ and an excellent Nvidia chip. I couldn't recommend Asus and this website more: http://www.xoticpc.com/

My next upgrade later in the year will more than likely be another Asus Laptop. Of course, the only bad thing is that the customisable options are reduced once you have what you have. But still, give them a look! I don't regret it.

Does nobody want to look at Laptops? I say this because they're very underrated and I believe they're moving up fast. I personally got one because I needed the portability - but it hasn't removed much power. Sure I had to sacrifice some detail on the terrain/water - but I've worked it out so the aircraft gets full detail and quality. This is hooked up to a 1920x1080 monitor too. My Asus is a year old now and for what I paid, you can get a laptop for the same price that'll run FSX like a pretty 'average' PC in this community at 3GHz+ and an excellent Nvidia chip. I couldn't recommend Asus and this website more: http://www.xoticpc.com/

My next upgrade later in the year will more than likely be another Asus Laptop. Of course, the only bad thing is that the customisable options are reduced once you have what you have. But still, give them a look! I don't regret it.

I'm looking to get a laptop. I just can't seem to find one with a 30 in. screen.

If you don't need the mobility though, it's a waste of money - as generally you pay a significant premium to have the equivalent desktop performance on a laptop. You're right though, that a lot of the really top-end laptops have closed the gap with the top-end desktops (if we forget about watercooling/overclocking) - however you're still conservatively paying 50% more to have the same power in the laptop instead of a desktop PC - worth it for some, not for others. 

If you don't need the mobility though, it's a waste of money - as generally you pay a significant premium to have the equivalent desktop performance on a laptop. You're right though, that a lot of the really top-end laptops have closed the gap with the top-end desktops (if we forget about watercooling/overclocking) - however you're still conservatively paying 50% more to have the same power in the laptop instead of a desktop PC - worth it for some, not for others. 

Its all about portability, you are absolutely right that you are paying for the convenience. I have a true workstation replacement laptop and I still wouldn't dream to put a heavy game onto it. An i7-3740qm is a very capable processor but at 2.7ghz it wont do anything with regards to gaming.

To the OP,

Get a K series processor, those are unlocked and can be overclocked. There are builders which specialize in gaming and then there are just PC brands. Go with one which builds their PCs for gaming.

Tom

"I just wanna tell you both: good luck. We're all counting on you."

you know there was a thread similar to this made about this a week or so ago...

<--------------->
Mike Murawski

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "PMDG General Forum" to "MOBO, RAM, CPU's & Other Hardware". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.