Sign in to follow this  
Guest enave

Interesting encounter in Swedish fjord:

Guest Fortress

..totally!Cheers,Paulhttp://www.strontiumdog.plus.com/sbird.jpgOfficially licenced by British Airways plc for use of name and logo[p]AMD XP2800+ Barton, Gigabyte GA-7NNXP nForce2, 1Gig Crucial PC3200 DDR 400MHz, Gainward 128 MB GF4-4200, SB Audigy, 3 x WD Caviar SE[/p]

Well it depends on the situation. If the military aircraft were on a AAS (Active Air Scramble) they don't need authentication to go through airspace although they are suspossed to tell the controllers so they can move civilian traffic out of the way. Take 9/11 for example, just minutes after the first aircraft hit the WTC fighters were being scrambled from bases across the US with live weapons on board. About the one in Norway I know there is an area NEAR that fjord, to the north I think, but they should never have been there. As I said before alot of fjords in Norway look alike, and traveling at 500 knots you can't just turn on a dime. Yes military pilots are infallible, but the closer rate of a 100 knot Cessna and a 500 knot F-15 Eagle makes not to much time to think the best way to go around him. Ultimately the F-15 pilots acted accordingly and prevented a mishap. The idea of *buzzing* a small aircraft with a high preformace fighter will ground a pilot permanently, no ifs, ands of buts. One time a F-14 pilot buzzed a carrier at a 90 degree bank on the deck, he got grounded for 30 days and restricted to the ship for the rest of the deployment I think.

Guest jrewing

In the accident I mentioned, the F16s busted the Tampa Class C airspace."The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause(s) of this accident as follows: the failure of the F-16 flight lead pilot and F-16 accident pilot to maintain an adequate visual lookout while maneuvering. Factors contributing to the accident were: the F-16 flight lead pilot

Guest iandavid

Didn't bother the policeman in the pig pen!!!. click on article lower down on the same page. UnbelievablePaul Gardner

Guest JDH

"Probably the same kind that 60 years ago kept you from now having to speak German instead of English."Hmm, looks like a winner for the 2003 Patronising W**ker Award. Congratulations Bill!!! Next time someone wonders why Americans are considered arrogant, we know who to direct them to.

Guest enave

I have a theory........"let's hope that the Cessna pilot chooses to keep his mouth shut, and then we'll be OK".you don't sound particularly open minded about this. You decided before you even read the story to blame the military pilot. Right?