Sign in to follow this  
cmpbellsjc

Appcrashviewer not working

I've been trying to pin down a ctd, but it doesn't seem that Win7 is creating .wer files for my ctd's. I can go into event viewer and see the error and the limited info, but when I try to use Appcrasviewer or look in the folder where the .wer files go, there are never files created.

I have Windows Error Reporting service active. Is there some other setting I need to get the .wer files to generate?

Thanks

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

This means you did not have a crash.  You'll have to go to the Event Viewer and see what happened.  In the Event Viewer, look in Custom Views>Administrative Events.  This will show you every event that just happened and you will not have to go through all the Windows logs.  You can copy an event by looking in the far right column and scroll down to Copy and then Copy details as text.  You can come back here and paste the Event here.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

So what your saying is that CTD's like g3d.dll or any other random ctds wont result in getting a .wer file created?

I can see the crash in the event viewer, but thought that they had .wer files created for them that listed more info.

How is it that people post their CTD info here using appcrashviewer, or in other words, why do their CTDs get .wer files and mine dont?

Thanks for the help and getting me to understand this better.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Hi Jim,

Make sure you did not disable Windows error reporting - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows7/ht/disable-error-reporting-windows-7.htm.  It is on by default but it might have somehow been turned off.  (Uh, wondering if an anti-virus program somehow prevents error reporting.  I don't own an anti-virus program so just thinking out loud).

My .wer reports are located in my Users\Jim\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive or ReportQueue or ERC (sub-directories under WER).

If you get an AppCrash with the faulting module g3d.dll, then a .wer report should be generated.  As you probably know, the FSUIPC4.dll catches and fixes some g3d.dll CTD's but not all.  You can look in the FSUIPC4.log located in the Modules folder and it will provide a report on how many g3d crashes it was able to trap during your fsx session.  The log is erased though every time you start up FSX so that it can start a new session.  I have a shortcut to the log on my desktop so that I can quickly take a look at the log after using FSX just to see what went on during the flight.  It also provides the average FPS you had during the flight.  The log is filled with all kinds of neat info.  Whenever I get a crash, I always look at this log too to see if there is any additional info as to what caused the crash.  If you are hearing the dings in the background while flying FSX it is the FSUIPC warning you that you are very low on memory.  I have 16GB's of RAM and have heard the 'dings' a couple of times.  The G3D.dll crash is an indication  your settings are set too high or you have a bad overclock.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10