Sign in to follow this  
scott967

Aircraft Wheels Not on the Ground

Guest ChanRak

Hi all I have a problem of the nose gear not on the ground. It appears it is off the ground and not touching it.I do believe it has something to do with the contact points, that is if I recall correctly. I do remember there was a solution to this, but I cannot remember how this is done. Can anyone of you simmers out there that is familiar about this, can you take the time to respond and provide me the information I seek.I hope you guys have the answers.thanksChanrak

Yes, it's the contact points. You can make your life easier by using the Aircraft Container Manager (www.aircraftmanager.com) to visually place the contact points.But beware: moving contact points sometimes results in unwanted side effects...Andreas

Guest ChanRak

True to form, but I also know the contacts points are in the CFG file. From what I can remember there was someone who specifically gave detailed instructions on how to edict the cfg. The problem right now is which one controls the up part and the one that controls the down part. Meaning to bring up the plane entirely, or in sections like the nose gear, the landing gear etc.I am kinda daft on this now, cause it has been a very long time since reading that good material.Can anyone help me here and refresh my spacey memory.Chanrak

{contact_points}The first three lines: point.0, point.1, and point.2 are likely the three wheels. The numbers in the these lines mean, in sequence://1 Class//2 Longitudinal Position (feet)//3 Lateral Position (feet)//4 Vertical Position (feet)In other words, find the nose wheel line (lateral position=0) and adjust the fourth parameter (Vertical position). Save the cfg file and reselect the airplane... and see if it is better or worse...A few tries should get you there.

Bert

Guest bones

Another thing to check is how the aircraft looks when you hit the SLEW key. In SLEW mode the aircraft ignores the contact point values and is positioned by the following two values:static_pitch=3.8static_cg_height=3.21These set the height and angle of the aircraft and they are also important to get right. When you first select an airport to fly from FS uses SLEW mode to position the aircraft to the correct spot. Once there it changes from Slew to normal.If an aircraft has been set up badly - with the Slew values quite different to the contact point settings - it will result in the aircraft dropping, bouncing or generally rocking about as Slew deactivates. If you get the two slew values spot on then you will see hardly any movement from the aircraft as you change from Slew to normal.You can check this with all your FS aircraft. Just switch to chase plane view and keep hitting the Y key. Some aircraft will behave well but others won't be as kind. Taildraggers need special care in setting up properly. A really bad aircraft will crash on loading but you hardly see any as bad as a this any more..boneshttp://fsaviation.nethttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/ng_driver.jpg

The contact points should fit the visual model. If they don't, try editing them, but it may affect ground handling.If the contact points fit the visual model, then it probably means the static CG and/or pitch need to to be adjusted.scott s..