Sign in to follow this  
funkyj4ever

How does reduced take-off work?

How does reduced take-off work? and what is the function of the set torque button? And the apr button? I cant find a good answer in the manuals. Maybe someone could explain them in normal language?

Thanks for reading

APR isn't particularly well explained in the PMDG documentation. APR stands for Automatic Performance Reserve.

You arm APR with the toggle switch above the engine instrumentation. In the event of an engine failure during takeoff/departure, APR will automatically feather the failed engine, and will increase the EGT limit and fuel flow to the remaining healthy engine (so you get more torque). APR is not armed for all departures, in reality pilots use a lookup refer to a runway table, but in the sim you should use it on short runways when at high weights or takeoff in icing conditions. If APR is armed for takeoff you must use 100% torque, derate is not permitted.

If APR is activated during departure, you may only use it for a limited time and you the engine will require inspection afterwards. I think each APR activation adds 250 hours to the engine's effective run time.

Reduced torque takeoff is done to prolong engine life, again in reality the crew use lookup tables, but in the sim you can assume if the runway is long and uncontaminated, you can derate and reduce the torque by a few percent.

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

Ahh thanks. But i just have to give less throttle? I dont get it what function the ,set torque button do. It is hard to give the right amount of throttle with this plane. So why is it there?

Ahh thanks. But i just have to give less throttle? I dont get it what function the ,set torque button do. It is hard to give the right amount of throttle with this plane. So why is it there?

Hey,

Are you asking wether or not it is possible for the aircraft to set the torque setting itself (similar the Q400 when in the RATING detent)?

If so, I believe the answer is no. You have to set your torque to match the torque bugs on the EI's.

As James said, the torque reference at the top of the engine display is just there for reference/bugs, tt doesn't actually do/change anything. So yes, you will have to use less throttle. In reality this is not so difficult as PM/PNF would do this.

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg