Sign in to follow this  
Copperleaf

Problems with SID altitude restrictions

I use FSBuild to build my flight plans.

If I use a SID with a height restriction, then RC starts shouting at me to increase my altitude. Most SIDs require a stepped altitude up to the selected altitude which means that there is zero rate of climb for a number of periods during the SID. RC will not allow this.

Is there a way of overcoming this problem?

Chris Hall.

Hi Chris,

it's in the manual (p 108). I found it a bit confusing first because if your SID has alt restrictions you have to check "No Altitude Restr".

No Altitude Restr

Clearance Delivery will assign an initial altitude, and Departure will keep you climbing. However, some published DPs include altitude restrictions. They may be AOA (at or above), AT, or AOB (at or below) altitude instructions. If you see your DP might cause you to remain level at an altitude for some period or until a certain DME, this is the DP feature to use. Use this checkbox if you do not want the RC controller pestering you for not maintaining a continuous rate of climb to your assigned altitude. There will be no lateral "watch-dogging", there will be no vertical "watch-dogging" from RC until you are at or beyond 30 miles from the departure field.

Alt Restrictions

By far, most DPs are of published routes without any altitude restraints. If your DP contains lateral routes but no altitude instructions, or if you simply wish to join an airway outbound, this is the way to go. Again, Clearance Delivery will assign an initial altitude, and Departure will keep you climbing but in this case, you need adhere to those altitude clearances. Keep it climbing to assigned, do not level off.

Regards,

Andreas Gutzwiller

agutz has it correct. I might add that if your first waypoint is within thirty miles only these two options will be available out of the three. In this case RC assumes you are flying according to a SID (DP) and will navigate laterally to align with the first waypoint outside of thirty nm which you must cross.

To clarify think of No Altitude Restrictions from ATC, Altitude Restrictions isued by ATC. No Departure Procedures means you are not following any within the first 30 nm so you need altitude and vector assignments to that waypoint outside of 30 nm.

In line with altitude constraints, be sure you read the section on Transition Altitudes and Flight Levels. Outside of FAA areas the FAA constant transition altitude of 18,000 feet MSL may not be used. Below that you use local barometric pressure on your altimeter. On reaching that and climbing above you use the standard altimeter pressure of 29.92 in or 1013 mb and you will be issued a Flight Level which altitude in feet divided by 100. (18,000 feet is FL180). The easiest way to determine this is if RC issues a Flight Level use the standard altimeter pressure or if RC issues the altitude in feet use local ATC issues barometric pressure.

It is not uncommon for many areas to use transition altitudes of 3,000 to 7,000 feet. In the RC pre-flight Controller page you can see what will be assigned as in the example below of Frankfurt to Paris - Charles de Gaulle:

As you pass through a transition altitude you'll hear an RC co-pilot voice saying altimeter check to remind you to set the altimeter to standard or local pressure as needed.

Many thanks for your help, guys. I will try again when I can get some time to fly.

Chris Hall

For years there have been attempts to unify TA in Europe.

No success so far.

TA for LFPG and the whole north of France has been changed to 5000ft in Nov 2011.

RC4 allows to set TA in ...\rc4x\data\m4.csv

Regards,

Andreas Gutzwiller

For years there have been attempts to unify TA in Europe.
No success so far.

That's not necessary at all. The current system is good enough.

Here is the format of m4.csv for those interested:

LFPG,485,4000

ICAO,calculated biased MSA,transition altitude

Format must be exact and only edit with a text editor, not a spreadsheet or data base. Note lack of any spaces.

Make a backup of the m4.csv from rcv4\dat, rcv3.dat and keyboard.dat (both from the main folders) all in a safe folder such as datback under your rcv4 or rcv4x folder to avoid a re-installation if they corrupt.

For LFPG 5000 feet TA it would be:

LFPG,485,5000