Hey Guys,

I currently am running an intel i3 with 16gig of ram, I also have a gtx 560ti, I am thinking of upgrading to another computer and using this one as a second networked computer for maps etc, maybe even some instruments, don't know for sure yet but I am gonna keep it and use it for something. I have been looking around and have found some real good deals on some systems with the fx line of AMD processors. However I do recall hearing once apon a time that AMD and X-Plane didn't get along so well. Is this still the case? Anybody got any experience in this area?

as always your input is greatly appreciated,

Scot

AMD and X-Plane didn't get along so well.

Totally untrue when it comes to processors. In the case of AMD/Radeon GPU's I have to agree.

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

I see we have similar set-ups only right now I have the i3. We are running the same OS and I have the same video card. I am running with 16 gigs of ram. 

How do you find perfomance with your setup? I notice that my frame rates drop (depending on the scenery) and can be a little jittery at times. A little more information on your experience would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

Scot

A little more information on your experience would be greatly appreciated.

Scot,

The 560ti 448 can handle XP pretty well as long as you don't use HDR and keep "Texture Resolution" one notch down from extreme. Even with my old cpu I can enjoy smooth flight in most areas/scenery. Of course my settings may be different than yours.

My settings:

Number of trees: Populated

Number of objects: Tons

Numbers of Roads: Tons

Number of Cars: Kansas Residential

World Detail Distance: High

Airport Detail: Extreme

Shadow Detail: Overlay

Water Reflections: None

Clouds: 30%

No HDR

AA: 8x

Anisotropic Filter: 16x

Flying into big airports like Chicago's O'hare is a challenge for my cpu though.

I would suggest (if you are in a budget) to go with the fastest Intel cpu you can afford. Your motherboard may be able to handle the i5 or even the i7.

Your i3 (Entry-Level) only has 3mb of smart cache and only 2 cores. Going with either the i5 (Mainstream)  with its 4 cores and 4-6mb of smart cache or the i7's (High-End, w/Hyperthreading) 4 cores and 8mb of smart cache will definitely make a difference. Keep in mind that the more smart cache (L3 cache) the processor has, the better.

I myself will build a new rig soon and prefer intel. AMD cpu's are excellent, but when it comes to flight simulators Intel is the winner.

Carlos

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

Thanks for the input Carlos, it is greatly appreciated. My mainboard will support both the i5 and i7 but it is the 1156 chipset hard to find and when you do they are expensive or used. I am looking to add a main computer and then use this one in some other capacity in the sim. I will most likely look for intel on your advice, the price difference between the two is substantial so having some one's honest opinion that uses AMD was very helpful.

Best Regards,

Scot

Totally untrue when it comes to processors. In the case of AMD/Radeon GPU's I have to agree.

Well, not quite. There were some really strange results when you equipped AMD processors with some very high end graphic cards. I get the feeling that such combinations weren't expected by the motherboard designers and there were still major bugs in the drivers.

There were some really strange results when you equipped AMD processors with some very high end graphic cards.

hmmm, first time I've heard of these issues. Are these related to XP?

It would be interesting to read about it.  Can you point me in the right direction as to where to look into this?

Thanks

Carlos

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "The X-Plane General Discussions Forum" to "MOBO, RAM, CPU's & Other Hardware". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

hmmm, first time I've heard of these issues. Are these related to XP?

They were purely YP related. In the german Aerosoft XP forum we had several people who upgraded their AMD processors with such high memory GPUs like the GTX 680 with 45GB or GTX 770 4GB and they had a rather bad performance, which only improved after they switched to an i7. We have severe doubts about6 their PCIe 3.0 support since it always looked like a traffic jam on their bus system.

We have severe doubts about6 their PCIe 3.0 support since it always looked like a traffic jam on their bus system.

Interesting!  Thx for the heads up.