Sign in to follow this  
b7x7

nVidia 9800GTX for FSX - PLEASE assist

Hi all,

Let me give you my main specs first:

Machine: P4 Core i5 3570k - 3.40GHz (with max turbo frequency up to 3.80GHz)

RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600 Hyper

Hard Drive: SSD 128GB

Graphics Card: nVidia 9800GTX 1GB

System: Windows 7 64bit

It's not the best system in the world but seems to do the job - i.e. I have lots of scenery add-ons, some payware aircraft and Ultimate Traffic 2. The system runs nicely in the sense that I don't notice stutters too much. If I fly the Feelthere E-jets into Heathrow X for example, it does stutter a little bit but I can live with it.

I got the system last year some time and I don't really have the means to upgrade it again, so please don't say 'get a 4.5GHz i7' or something.

I want to buy the PMDG 737NGX and want it to run smoothly. I'm also interested in the PMDG 777 when it comes out this weekend (hopefully).

QUESTION- is my graphics card OK with my configuration, or should I upgrade it to something else. Yes I know there are much better cards out there, but for my system and FSX would you say I really need a better card to run the NGX and 777 with my addons and AI traffic smoothly?

I would appreciate all your advice on this.

Hi,

I have an i5 2500k oc to 4.5ghz, I did have 9800gtx + 512mb, it ran level-d with UT2 and REx happily with slides more to the left, but when I went started flying the NGX I did start to see some low Fps, I am now using a evga 660ti and it seem a good balance, I think you should try and overclock your cpu manual before changing your gpu, you should be able to get your cpu somewhere near with a cheap 212 air cooler.

Hi,

Thank you for the input. I am looking at overclocking it indeed and will perhaps do that first to see how smoothly NGX runs with it.

You should upgrade GPU, i have 9800gtx on my old PC. You CPU is too good for that GPU. Go for at least gt580, or 680 or higher. I have 560ti(and i will change it), and i have 2 problems with this GPU:  

- On some big and bussy airports with NGX, despite that good FPS i get some sluggish movements(i think this have something with rendering)

- GPU is too weak in bad weather with heavy clouds, i get huge FPS drop and stutters

I just spoke with an IT guy who said the same thing as you. The 9800gtx is something like 7 generations behind.

For FSX, would a 2GB graphics card make a huge difference? For example, would a 2GB GTX660Ti be A LOT better than a 1GB?

For FSX, would a 2GB graphics card make a huge difference? For example, would a 2GB GTX660Ti be A LOT better than a 1GB?

No, not realy for FSX.

580 is older, but will still be better then 660ti http://www.hwcompare.com/13161/geforce-gtx-580-vs-geforce-gtx-660-ti/

I have this: http://www.msi.com/product/vga/N560GTX-Ti-Twin-Frozr-II-OC.html and i have those problems in bad weather and big airports. 

I will upgrade to 580 or from 6 series - 680 or higher

After researching this quite a bit, I have ordered a 2GB nVidia GTX 660. That's over the top of my price range for the moment, although I know that a 680+ would have been ideal. I read many posts where people were quite happy with the 660 and checked a few YouTube vids of guys with my specs and that card, and the graphics were stunning.