Sign in to follow this  

IR Training Applications for the PC.

It's coming around to the birthday date again :), and wife is asking what I might want for a present.I'm currently in my final stages of sitting the instrument rating written, and just commencing the practical training. I've posted here before about IR training aids, and some of you have replied that FS is as good (and a lot cheaper) than some of the specialized apps out there (Elite, On Top, etc.). I'm speaking here only about the software component, not any hardware and not anything that I can expect to log. Just as an aid in training.Given that I have no big wishes on my birthday list :), I'm considering a request for one of these specialized applications. While FS is very good for instrument work, it would appear that the other apps have more specialized tutorials and lessons in actual IR required practical maneuvers (holding pattern entry, PT's, etc.). I will be consulting with my CFII as well on this to ensure that we're both on the same page. Given the above, does anyone have a recommendation for one of these apps?Thanks- and if I'm totally wrong about my assumptions about FS not having required maneuvering tutorials, please tell me. Thanks,Bruce.

I used the hell out of MSFS, it was FS2000 then, for my Instrument certificate practice. I flew all the approaches to my local airports to the point I knew them like the back of my hand when in the airplane. I still fly all the approaches to a new airport when I travel. Having done them at least once really makes them seems easier in a real cockpit where you have plenty enough to do other than spending time figuring out a complicated plate.Don't know what to tell you about the new widgets for your b-day, but I find FS a great practice platform for IFR work, within some limits. I don't sweat near as much in my office on the PC than I do when really flying under a hood or in the soup.Kyle RamseyASEL-Comm/Inst/CFI

I would recommend FlitePro from Jeppesen. It

Thanks for the answers.Bruce.

Hi Kyle,Thanks- I'm looking for something that has some instructional value (or maybe provides a score for assigned tasks such as a holding pattern entry, etc.). I do agree that FS is excellent for practice, and I always use it prior to flying VFR to a new airport- just to get the orientation of the runways and the view I should expect to see id worth a lot.Bruce.