Sign in to follow this  
Louis8

How to save a flight properly

I fly this thing like an ol lady .So my kid told me to make some flights and save them at top of decent. And then he'll show me some tricks they use and what ever else to get it in and down cause there's lots of stuff I'm not doing right . I want to know how to save them, I've never done it and not to to sure how.

Hi Louis,

I save flights with the NGX the normal way with the sim ( Drop down menu, Flights and save flight ) and but when i load the saved flight i browse to the flight sim save folder and double click the save which runs fsx and loads the flight. This will load the flight and keep my flight plan in the fmc along with the way i configured the cockpit. I will lose about 300 feet in altitude while the ngx systems start up but it quickly returns to normal flight and altitude. If you start fsx first and load the saved flight there is a risk the aircraft might not be configured correctly.

When you save a flight it creates 3 files with the name you choose but its the one with the extension FSSAVE you want to load and you can find them in the Flight Simulator X Files folder which should be in your main documents folders.

Hope this helps

Paul S

-Paul-

Hey Paul,

Just jumping on this topic -- what if you are running a weather engine like REX?  I use REX and is starts fsx.exe, so I am required to go through the FSX user interface to load a saved flight.  My flights load with the configuration intact, but flights that are in cruise seem to take too long to initialize and I lose a decent amount of altitude and stability before I take control.

Is there a recommendation for loading saved flights when FSX is started by another process?

Thanks for your insight -

Im not sure why you would lose a lot of altitude resuming a flight if you saved it in a stable part of the flight plan as the ngx should only take about 17 seconds to configure it self when the flight has loaded and then return back to the altitude it was at ( which is where i lose about 300ft in that time ) but you should just be able to click on the save file and run fsx with out the worry of having a shortcut to the fsx.exe or using any other addon to luanch the sim. Using the fsx interface to load saved flights can lead to issues with complex aircraft when resuming a saved flight which is why i just browse to the save folder and run the saved flight from there. When saving its always good to save when the aircraft is flying level and not in a turn etc..

I do have Orbx fsx go which has the abilty to luanch fsx with a selected saved flight as well but i only use that feature when im testing changes i make to the fsx.cfg with that app.

-Paul-

After I posted this I figured lord, these guys are gonna think I'm brain dead cause I don't even know how to save a flight.But I just had a feeling nothing would really work properly in this complex little unit if I did that , and I would just be wasting a lot of time for nothing. But I'm glad I posted cause I would of never known - I just tried it and yes it has to grab it's altitude back a bit but didn't turn out to to shabby -So thanks a bunch Paul