Sign in to follow this  
snickers

A/T on during manual landing

the indicators (flight mode annunciators) at the top of the PFD should indicate SPD | VOR/LOC | G/S all in green

Once it says that, you are all set.

The auto throttle WILL retard to idle when manually flying, and at least the FD is on and you have captured and tracking the localiser and glideslope. It will not retard for VOR or RNAV approach.

It doesn't have to be an auto land, it can be a hand flown ILS approach, as long as the flight directors are tracking the localiser and glideslope.

I take back what I said earlier as I've now seen the sim do this (I always used to disconnect the A/T before touchdown so never noticed it before).  The A/T mode went blank and the thrust levers drove to idle. But is this correct for the aircraft? There isn't any mention of it in the manual, at least not that I can find.

Either way, if you aren't sure whether the A/T will retard or not, it's surely best to disconnect it and retard the levers manually.

ki9cAAb.jpg

That's a Boeing recommendation, you can use A/T in manual flight if you find it helps. Some airlines do this.

I have never heard of airline using the A/T with the A/P disengaged in any mode other than ARM. Even then, Boeing have said that they will only bless it with specific training.

I have never heard of airline using the A/T with the A/P disengaged in any mode other than ARM. Even then, Boeing have said that they will only bless it with specific training.

What Boeing have said about using A/T with AP off is this:

• Autothrottle disconnect altitude no lower than (300?) feet
  • Not with gusty winds or turbulence
  • Establish a procedure in case of sudden thrust increases and the landing becomes unstabilized
  • Provide training on pitch coupling
  • Establish Clear policy

Boeing don't have to "bless" this operating procedure, if adopted, but this is what they recommend to reduce risk if an airline wants to use it.

This PDF download link from smartcockpit gives the full presentation.  It relates to 757 but is applicable to Boeings in general (up until the 777 that is).

ki9cAAb.jpg

You could be right, I'm just going by what my last chief pilot told me which could have been specific to that CAA at that time.

Establish a procedure in case of sudden thrust increases and the landing becomes unstabilized
Provide training on pitch coupling
Establish Clear policy

Regardless, these are the key points: procedures, training and policies, which need to be incorporated into Ops Manual B. Some do this through Boeing which means Boeing tailor OMB for the operator (I can imagine this was the old way) or the operator produces a separate addendum to OMB (which my last two airlines did). In either case this has to be approved by the state - which in practical terms for most CAAs will be difficult if Boeing isn't involved to some degree.

Correct: It is allowed to use A/T when flying manually, normally disconnect and retard manually at 50 feet radalt.

Also you have your hands on the throttles all the time during an approach.

Bad landing? It's an old lady working with computers,.. what do you expect?  Press the magic button and DIYS  ^_^

vpa118.png

Rico van Dijk