Sign in to follow this  
Glynn

My partial solution to the PDF manual problem

Like others , I have always found it annoying and difficult to access the PDF file manuals supplied with some complex a/c - you need to have FS2004 running but you also have to be able to read the PDF file. It IS possible with lots of juggling but not much fun. I have tried reducing the size of the Sim in Windowed mode so that I could have the PDF file and the Sim open on the screen at the same time - but that didn't work real well. I especially find it annoying when I am inside the Sim, flying - and I can't remember just one simple little thing about the a/c and I have to go into Windowed mode and then go into Windows Explorer to find the PDF file and open it.So here is my partial solution - It would be perfect if somebody could figure out how to increase the size of the Kneeboard.This involves the use of the Kneeboard - but only the a/c Reference page of the kneeboard. Hence you can open the kneeboard for any a/c as per normal and only affect the Ref page for any particular a/c that you want.For example, The Dreamfleet Cessna 310Place this inside the REF.HTML file that is supplied with the a/c Aircraft Manual HERENote that you have to open the HTML file using Windows Notepad and this line has to be placed inside the section of the file.This results in a link to the PDF file inside the REF page of the C310 kneeboard - which when you click on it, opens up the Manual PDF file inside the Kneeboard and allows you to check some detail as you are flying.Unfortunately, some addon a/c do not come with a REF.HTML file -- so you have to create one first - but that requires another post.The print is a bit small I know - so this hint is for people 60 years and under :) with 20/20 vision :)But it is better than nothing and is a big help to me so I hope it helps others.Barry

Guest nigelb

Ta mate! That is a great idea. For short sections of a PDF file (like a checklist), I have been copying the selected text and then pasting into Word. I can then edit the width, etc to make it a better fit for kneeboard, and then save the file as a .htm format file. But for longer items with lots of pictures and so on, your idea is a real winner!Nigel in the Colonies.

Hi Bazza,It may be old-fashioned, but sometimes there's actually no substitute for a printed manual. I appreciate that for something like the ATR-72 at nearly 500 pages this is a major undertaking, but selective printing is a possibility !Alastair

>It may be old-fashioned, but sometimes there's actually no>substitute for a printed manual. I appreciate that for>something like the ATR-72 at nearly 500 pages this is a major>undertaking, but selective printing is a possibility !>>AlastairG'day AlastairI agree with you absolutely - but I can't see any way around the fact that printed manuals have gone the way of the dinosoars. It costs too much for the software authors to provide and it costs to much for us to print them - either at home or at a printer. Anyway, I really wish somebody could come up with a way to make the kneeboard larger.Barry

>For short sections of a PDF file (like a checklist), I have>been copying the selected text and then pasting into Word. I>can then edit the width, etc to make it a better fit for>kneeboard, and then save the file as a .htm format file. But>for longer items with lots of pictures and so on, your idea is>a real winner!Yes - I do that kind of thing myself. Some freeware authors don't provide REF.HTML files so I create one easily myself by typing whatever info I want into Microsoft Word and saving it as a HTML file. Then I have to ensure that this new file is referred to in the aircraft.cfg file. Works great. It is then also handy to know a little basic HTML code to insert into the file as well to achieve things like what we are talking about.Barry

I use an old dell 233mhz laptop that i got from EBay cheapI have all my PDF documentation on it and also use it forSimplates2004.It is just about quick enough for the taskI have fitted a wireless card so that i can get on the webfor other info while i fly, havent tried WideFS on it yet.