Sign in to follow this  
stretch1365

777 froze my PC!

Hi all,

So I'm flying my 777 on it's longest flight so far, Geneva LSGG to Hong Kong VHHX, everything has been working fine, even the cruise time compression! and I noticed as the plane entered the decent the time compression was still activated, the plane enters a turn and poof! Both screens freeze up! In-fact the whole PC froze up.

I was running fsx in full window mode using two screens, one showing the VC and the other the external view, as I always do. I had REX working and the Avlasoft EFB data provider, the display for the EFB is shown on a laptop. I had TrackIR running but on standby and was flying into FlyTampa's Kai Tak, and I have GEX for that area too.

Normally I have no problems with FSX it always runs smoothly and very rarely crashes so this was a little frustrating.

Unfortunately I didn't think to look at the event viewer, but when the screens froze, the mouse pointer turned into a curled hand as if turning a control in the VC, the plane was at about FL370-360 and descending at about 4000ft/min, and it was dark outside the cockpit!

So the only thing to work was the window's button on the keyboard, which brought up the start menu with the correct mouse pointer, and the menu bar along the bottom of the screen, but I couldn't minimise fsx to try anything else.

I read here about a number of possible culprits, something to do with "Memory Leakage flying into KaiTak" and something else to do with UIAutomationCore.dll which I replaced when I bought my 777 as suggested in the PMDG introductory manual.

So can anyone suggest the most likely cause please.

Best regards

Happy Flying,

Dave Phillips.

How long did you wait before you pressed the windows key?  The long pauses/freezes are known by PMDG and are investigating.  It's happening to many of us including me, but my experience with it is if you wait for about 6 minutes the flight will resume as normal.  If and when it does revert back to normal flight, you should quickly disable auto time compression and the freezes will not return as long as you are flying at the 1x (normal) rate.

Dylan Charles

"The aircraft G-limits are only there in case there is another flight by that particular airplane. If subsequent flights do not appear likely, there are no G-limits."

Hi Dylan,

I probably waited close to 4 mins, appears that I should have waited another couple of minutes, typical............However it might be another week until I can try again! Interesting to note PMDG are aware of the issue. I was under the impression the time compression was supposed to revert to 1x just before the descent started not stay at 4x so maybe that's part of the problem. Next time I will make sure to set the time compression to 1x myself just before the descent.

Thanks again for your reply.

Happy Flying,

Dave Phillips.

Do u use the Nvidia driver 327.xx? I had the same problem and im back now with 314.22 and everything is stable!

Some of the freezes people have had remain as a freeze, no matter how long you wait. Ive experienced both.

However since moving to DX10 with the DX10 Fixer, I have had neither - I also now have far better smoothness, and the cockpit shadows are excellent.