Sign in to follow this  
Handle

Relevance Of "grid" on PFD

R2dL4OW.jpg

Evening gentlemen/ladies, can somebody please tell me the relevance of the white box with the text "Grid:332" , thanks in advanced.

From what I understand its just another heading to reference if the ADIRU fails. 

If the ADIRU fails, SAARU (Secondary Attitude Air Data Reference Unit) would work but would need heading input every 10 minutes.

Not 100%, but FCOMv2 pages 11.20.5 and 11.31.8 makes me think that.  I've seen this on my 3 or 4 polar routes.

Maybe someone else can hit on this.

I see you have your terrain radar on flying over the ocean, so screen grid ?

Just do a google search..... :rolleyes:

Peter Aertssen

EHAM

7160N is not far off Greenland's coast and in the situation of decompression its be best to know whats below when approaching the divert, IMO its best to keep it on.  Haven't seen a cockpit flow that says turn it off after climb or over water.  Also why would Boeing add the option to show large bodies of water if it wasn't meant to be kept on over water? 

Also I doubt Google will yet anything more then FCOM on GRID headings.

Also the terrain feature is not a radar but rather a database of terrain.  If it was a radar if would not know the terrain behind say, a mountain as the 'radar' would be blocked.  As well wouldn't be able to show terrain that's beside the plane (90 degrees left/right).

Thanks for the replies gentlemen. I appreciate the help and the redirect, Olli. And...At least I was close......right......