Sign in to follow this  
zmak

Standard photo scenery .no water

Hi all. Im new to this but really enjoying the creative side of FSX. 

Recently i was able to create Photo scenery for the island of Nauru using watermask and blend mask, Sbuilderx and Gimp.

My question is whats the procedure for photo scenery that has no water? lets say I want to create a country town about the same size as Nauru. Do I use just blend mask only to blend it into FSX default?

thanks in advance

ZORAN

yes, that and night textures/seasons if you want to spend the time. It's all in how you word the .INF file

Best, Michael

KDFW

Got it, so  I need to create a water mask as well but just leave it blank.

Another question, how do I make 2 sets of sceneries for the one island?

eg st Maarten is to big for Sbuilderx To capture.

ZORAN

Why on earth would you make a water mask, where it wouldn't be needed? Does that really make any sense?

You don't need a blend mask either, unless you do not want to see a square/rectangular blob of photo scenery inside the game. The blend mask's purpose is to tailor the display of the area in a non squarish/rectangular manner.

Don't over-think the process. It only makes things more difficult.

If one source image won't cover the area, use more than one. See how simple that is? The SDKs cover how to use a multi source INF file to create a BGL file. There's even a sample multi-channel, multi-source INF file provided for reference.

Why on earth would you make a water mask, where it wouldn't be needed? Does that really make any sense?

You don't need a blend mask either, unless you do not want to see a square/rectangular blob of photo scenery inside the game. The blend mask's purpose is to tailor the display of the area in a non squarish/rectangular manner.

Don't over-think the process. It only makes things more difficult.

If one source image won't cover the area, use more than one. See how simple that is? The SDKs cover how to use a multi source INF file to create a BGL file. There's even a sample multi-channel, multi-source INF file provided for reference.

"See how simple that is? The SDKs cover how to use a multi source INF file to create a BGL file. There's even a sample multi-channel, multi-source INF file provided for reference."

easy for you to say lol, trying to find all of the correct info as a newbie as not that easy . Where can I find this?

ZORAN

Got it, so  I need to create a water mask as well but just leave it blank.

Another question, how do I make 2 sets of sceneries for the one island?

eg st Maarten is to big for Sbuilderx To capture.

No, don't create the water mask if you don't need it, just don't have an entry for the water mask in the .INF file. When you set up the .INF file, you tell resample exe what sources you will have. if you are doing an island, there is a good chance you will need a water mask for the water beyond the shores. I assume you know how to edit the .INF files, correct? the info is in the SDK but hard to find a pain to figure out. Do a serch at FSDeveloper.com for .INF files and you should get some examples. If you scenery has the main photo, water, blend mask and night textures it will have 4 source entries and you should have 4 different source files for it, 2 of which are TIFFs (water and blend mask) and 2 being BMPs.

As for a large area, just make more than one photoreal part and make sure they are the same resolution/zoom and that they overlap a bit (think of it as more than one project). I did this for an area in Afghanistan that took 12 tiles

Best, Michael

KDFW

Thanks Michael, that clears that up for me :-)

ZORAN