Sign in to follow this  
weekend_pilot

Help with IFR flight plan koak.coast5.sxc.ksna

I am unsure how to even go about asking this question. I fly a common Southwest route between KOAK to KSNA as a passenger.

I wanted to duplicate this flight in FSX(pmdg737ng). So I went to flight aware and looked up the flight plan which according to Flightaware is KOAK COAST5 SXC KSNA.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/SWA915/history/20131008/0115Z/KOAK/KSNA

Using simroutes.com or even the FMC selecting what I believe is correct has some waypoints overlapping.

My question is the flight plan ends at SXC I would assume that a STAR is used for ILS19R and based on having been on this flight I believe it was Tandy3, but there is nothing in the flight plan. Therefore given that SXC was the last point in the plan, how did or what did they use in the FMc routes to get them on ILS19r?

I can modify the route in the FMC. I pick COAST5 with SXC transition on arrival I have selected Tandy3 with ILS19r using SLI transition. Of course viewing the legs shows many waypoints overlapping. If anyone can clarify this route plan and how that setup may look on the FMC that would help. It may be that no matter what the legs must always be adjusted.

Thanks

From the log, it looks like they've cut that long DCT to SXC (therefore dropping SXC) and went for the SLI transition in preparation for the ILS19R. So I would leave the TANDY3 STAR out, I don't think it matches or makes sense in this scenario.

You can take a look at the SOPLOA's for ZLA (VATSIM), and you can see that there is a Letter of Agreement between ZOA and ZLA: John Wayne (KSNA) and Long Beach (KLGB): via SXC or via FLW or FIM, thence via TANDY STAR. There are some real world controllers associated with VATSIM, so might have stolen that. I have no idea if this is done in the real world.

The blue dashed line kind of looks like that, where SLI is used as the feeder for ILS RWY 19R.

However, what you file and how you get vectored are two different stories altogether.

Thanks everyone, it seems that I was not notified about replies to this thread, so I assumed no one responded.  Again thank you for the explanation.

I talked with a few pilots, a STAR is not necessarily always assigned and most likely this flight was simply vectored to ILS19R, so I guess the answer is a STAR is not necessary in a route. 

Since I am in a simulation and I am not using Vatsim, or ATC for that matter, I have to kind of assume that I will be given vectors to airport for the final landing.

Having flown this as a passenger I believe from SLI they are being vectored to SAGER. I am also assuming that ATC is vectoring them to line the aircraft up because SoCal air traffic is probably very heavy.  In any event thank you again for all the replies.