Sign in to follow this  
JohnB777

External Hard Drives

I was thinking about purchasing a new external hard drive for my Gateway FX6860 desktop. But I need som help on which external hard drive are compatible with my computer. If anyone can suggest a good external HD with about 1-1.5(1.5 would be optimal) TB space. I am on a budget so around $80 is fine. If anyone can find a 2 TB external HD for around $80 that is still compatible with the Gateway FX6860, that would definetly be a good choice for me.

I've had good success with WD My Book 3TB USB 3.0 and Fantom 3TB USB 3.0 ... both were around $110-120 each.  They'll also work with USB 2.0 but I wouldn't recommend using USB 2.0 as transfer will be very slow.

According to you PC specs listed here: http://support.gateway.com/s/desktop/2011/gateway/fx/fx6860/FX6860sp2.shtml you may have two USB 3.0 ports ... these ports are usually identified with a blue color.

Are there any cheaper ones that you could reccomend? Thats a little out of my budget and I really don't need 3 TB, I only need around 2TB

Any external drive with fast tarnsfer rates (eSata), are pricey. Most are intended for backup or storage.

I found this: Expansion 2TB SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Desktop Hard Drive STBV2000100, at my local store(I live in near Boston), would it work with mine? I might get it today.

Are there any cheaper ones that you could reccomend?

I have NOT used this drive, but it is cheaper and 2TB: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822149388

I have used this drive in 3TB version: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822510007 and it's worked very well. 

You probably should determine if you have those USB 3.0 (blue) ports on your PC ... they appear to be an "optional" item.

Here are the benchmarks I ran on my Fantom 3TB (seagate) when hooked up to my USB 3.0 port, pretty good performance for the price considering it's an external drive.

My specs say maximum 2TB though, 3 TB won't work.

That is for internal drives, it doesn't say anything about external USB 3.0 drives.

I have NOT used this drive, but it is cheaper and 2TB: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822149388

I have used this drive in 3TB version: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822510007 and it's worked very well. 

You probably should determine if you have those USB 3.0 (blue) ports on your PC ... they appear to be an "optional" item.

Here are the benchmarks I ran on my Fantom 3TB (seagate) when hooked up to my USB 3.0 port, pretty good performance for the price considering it's an external drive.

attachicon.gifFantomExt3TB.jpg

That is for internal drives, it doesn't say anything about external USB 3.0 drives.

I found this: Expansion 2TB SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Desktop Hard Drive STBV2000100, at my local store(I live in near Boston), would it work with mine? I might get it today.

would it work with mine?

I'm sure it will ... but like I said, you need to verify you have those "blue" USB 3.0 ports on your PC.  If you don't then you only have USB 2.0 and that means it will be very slow for file transfers ... so why that matters is that you can buy cheaper USB 2.0 only external drives.  So you really need to verify if you have these "blue" USB 3.0 ports on your PC before buying anything.

But how do I verify this?

Going to assume you're not yanking my chain here ;) ... you'll need to visually look at the ports either on the front or back of your PC.  If you have ports that look like these blue ones then you have USB 3.0:

Rob

But how do I verify this?

Hello

Aside from what Rob just posted.

You can also verify if you have USB 3.0 ports by checking in Device Manager.

Expand the Universal Serial Bus Controllers section and see if you have any USB Hubs V3.0

(I'm not on my PC now to show you a picture)

According to this, Gateway FX6860 Desktop Series Specifications your PC might not have USB 3.0 Support.

2. Specifications vary depending on model.

Cheers

It only says that the normal front and back ports are 2.0, then it says that the two 2 external hard drive bays I have are 3.0. If you look at the bottom you'll notic.

It only says that the normal front and back ports are 2.0, then it says that the two 2 external hard drive bays I have are 3.0. If you look at the bottom you'll notice(sorry for posting twice).