Sign in to follow this  
martinlest2

FS9 Crashes when I try to load a flight plan

This happens only perhaps 10-20% of the time. When I go to Flight Planner in the FS menu bar and scroll down to click on a saved flight plan (.pln) in the drop-down window, FS9 hangs. Nothing I click on then functions and the only way to 'escape'  is to close the FS9.exe process in the Task manager. (In fact, it is so common that I have created a link to a batch file on my desktop which does this!).

When I restart FS and try the same again, same a/c, same plan, it invariably then works fine, so it's not the plan itself that is at fault (created by FSNavigator). Happens with whatever plane I am flying, and whatever airport as far as I can see..

It's been happening for two years maybe, but it seems so difficult to troubleshoot that I have just put up with it. But if anyone has any ideas..

Thanks.

This could be memory related as opening a new plan takes up a lot of system resources.  FS9 has to work to load the waypoints, etc. When you restart FS9 and try it again, it will work because memory resources were released when you shutdown FS9 and restarted it.  Have you waited for any length of time to see if the plan finally loads?  Sometimes your system takes some time to find all the components to load.  What happens if you load a plan made by the FS9 flight planner?  Perhaps there's a slight modification created by FSNavigator that FS9 doesn't recognize.

I did a Google search for your topic subject, FS9 crashes when I try to load a flight plan, and came up with a lot of hits so it must be a problem throughout the FS Community.  I did not see anything related to FSNavigator but I just did some cursory checks.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hi, thanks for the ideas. It's not system resources though, I have a 'gadget' on the second monitor and I rarely have less than 3GBs of free RAM (not virtual memory). I can wait till the cows come home and nothing further happens, I have to close the process in TM..

Difficult to troubleshoot as it happens, as I say, only relatively rarely.

Just happened again!

I see in Task Manager that CPU usage for fs9.exe when this happens is zero, and in Process Monitor, fs9.exe no longer appears in the 'Process Name' column.