Sign in to follow this  
Blaze

Frustrated with the view system

I've used XP10 now for awhile now and I have never gotten comfortable with the view system. So I sat down this morning with the intention of getting this sorted and has just led to more frustration. I'm pretty sure it's end-user induced frustration so I am turning to the board for help. I use track IR and have Sandy B's pilot view plug in. I can get these to work together most of the time but there is something amiss with the axis when I make different presets. Here is an example...

I've tried to set PV presets 7&8 to allow me to view the engineer station on the Flying J Sim B727. I have no problem shifting the default PV Preset backward and then rotating it 90 degree's to face the engineer's panel however when I do it screws up how Track IR interfaces with it. If I move my head forward to simulate getting a closer view of a switch or knob track IR increases the Z value axis as it should but PV doesn't seem to care that I rotate the view 90 degrees so instead of zooming in on the engineer panel my view is shifted laterally toward the front of the aircraft so now I'm sitting sideways in the pilots seat looking out through the copilots side window. I can't ever get the two programs PV or Track IR in sync unless looking straight ahead from the default PV Preset.

Or I guess another way of saying this is that it seems PV always assumes the Z axis runs along the 360-180 degree azimuth while Trak IR assums the z axis is running in which ever azimuth/direction the pilot/ view is currently facing.

If you have any suggestions on this I'm listening closely.

So I thought I would get rid of PV altogether and see if I could get Track IR to work without it. I thought if I could get the CNTRL+ Numpad presets selected and assigned to my yoke buttons I could then just turn on Track IR and be happy similar to how I set up EZDOC in MSFS but I can't even seem to get TIR working using the Shift+0 command as stated in the equipment accessories menu of XP10.

Lots of dated posts about similar issues but with XP continually updating (a good thing I suppose) I'm not sure whats relevant anymore. Is there an easier way?

Thanks in Advance.

RE Thomason Jr.

I am not quite sure if I am answering the question you are asking but here is how I use Pilot View. Please note the order of actions is crucial.

1) Make sure TrackIr is DISABLED in the X-Plane equipment menu; this is crucial to prevent conflicts as the plugin already has a native TrackIr Interface.

2)Start the simulator with TrackIr running but wthout your "hat" on so the TrackIr is not sensing.

3)Open up the plane you are going to set views for. The plane should load in "W" view i.e. straight ahead 2D cockpit.

4)Click on the Plugin and enable the control panel; then click and clear everything.

5)Click and clear the offsets (lower half of the panel) and save. All the windows should read zero.

6)Then, without altering the view, click the first preset. The adjacent small box should have a tick in it.

7)Then click the restrict view box (small and just beneath the presets.)

8)Then, still not altering the view, click the next preset (in this case number two.)

9)Now use the keys in the upper half of the panel to alter the view (forward, backward, side to side, up down etc). Alter the value in the associated small box to alter the incremental shift from the default 0.01.

10)When you have the view you want then AND ONLY THEN click the restrict view box.

11)Not altering this view click the next preset (in this case numbae three) and continue as in 9)

12)When finished click save next to the presets and then close the programme.

The order is everything if you move a preset after its' view has been "restricted" problems will arise. Make sure you setup hotkeys for the plugin. I use ALT 1-9. I also only ever initiate PilotView from the "W" view.

Please note I am not an expert user and their maybe a more efficient way of using this software. If this was payware I'd complain about the lack of decent instructions.

It isn't the individual who developed this plugin did it out of their own spare time........MUCHOS KUDOS

Mr Pitt's thanks for the lengthy reply! I am about to try configuring PV using your method and will report my results when complete.

Well thanks again for trying to help, I'm not sure if because the Fly J Sim B727 comes with some presets already there is a conflict or something but I just can't seem to come up with a satisfying setup?  I can get it usable but just not dialed into where I want to be. 

Thanks again for trying to help but even amiss all of these potentially great new releases I think I'm going to shelve XP10 for the time being and come back for a visit after V1.3 is released. I find myself struggling more with it than I'm enjoying it at the moment.

RE Thomason Jr.

Understand the frustration. Getting PilotView working by trial and error is a pain.

Not wishing to rub salt in to the wounds but when you figure it out the flexibility of the basic viewing system coupled with this freeware plugin is incredible. And yes it works fine on the FJSim B727; no conflicts with the original presets / views.

All the best.

Understand the frustration. Getting PilotView working by trial and error is a pain.

Not wishing to rub salt in to the wounds but when you figure it out the flexibility of the basic viewing system coupled with this freeware plugin is incredible. And yes it works fine on the FJSim B727; no conflicts with the original presets / views.

All the best.

Alright you've motivated me to give it another go from scratch.

RE Thomason Jr.

Hey Pitts I'm able to get my views all set up using PV and TIR but the one issue I can't seem to solve is that 90 degree rotated view issue that conflicts with the Z axis.

I am assuming that you must have used the directional controls in pilot view to push your eyepoint back and rotated about 90 degrees to the right from the pilot in command view in order to have a preset for the engineer's panel correct? If you did that how are you zooming your view?  With the mouse wheel?  I keep trying to use TIR to zoom by physically moving my head forward to simulate looking closer at the panel  but whenever I do this my eye-point moves laterally left; parallel to the engineer panel instead of zooming.   TIR is zooming in and out along the Z axis but it doesn't seem to register that I rotated my eyepoint 90 degrees to view the engineer panel using the HDG buttons of PV. (If I truly want to zoom in or out with a rotated preset in pilot view I have to physically move my head parallel to my monitor as if the X-and Z axis have swapped roles...but they haven't)

The same problem exists to a lesser extent with the overhead view.  I can  create a great looking preset of the overhead panel in pilot view by moving my eyepoint toward the center of the cockpit along the Xaxis and then rotating it upward. However when I try to use that view in conjunction with TIR again the zoom function feels awkward/wrong.  Physically moving my head forward to simulate taking a closer look at the overhead panel again increases the value of the Z axis in TIR but instead of zooming in on the overhead panel the view shifts forward toward the front of the cockpit. 

I don't really know how to explain it any better with words :unsure:

I can't be the only one experiencing this am I??? :rolleyes:

RE Thomason Jr.

Correct I use the middle mouse scroll wheel for zooming. My TrackIr file is basic left/right up/down (no rotation or lateral,) I have it setup the same for all my flight sims. When manoeuvring an airplane in three dimensions, in sim as in real life, I like to keep my head relatively still to facilitate interpretation of action and reaction. 6DOF coupled with my alcohol triggered tremor doesn't allow this.

My advice keep the TrackIr simple, zoom with the mouse wheel and use the 8 possible viewpoints to cover what you need. I find this provides excellent coverage for the B727 cockpit with spare views to use for the "Outside Cockpit Looking In"; necessary for the all important end of checklist essentials: Hair-- Nice Shades--Cool. One problem I have found in the B727 with the above combination is I can only rotate some switches clockwise. Not a massive problem just something to bear in mind.

As an aside given your interests: sounds like early December would be a great time to set the alarm early, jump into the jeep, head for the wilderness and hopefully get a great view of a comet in the early eastern sky.

Have fun.

Correct I use the middle mouse scroll wheel for zooming. My TrackIr file is basic left/right up/down (no rotation or lateral,) I have it setup the same for all my flight sims. When manoeuvring an airplane in three dimensions, in sim as in real life, I like to keep my head relatively still to facilitate interpretation of action and reaction.

OK I'm use to 6DOF but might try ur way and simplify my TIR profile. I can assign a rocker switch on my yoke as a zoom + or - function.

6DOF coupled with my alcohol triggered tremor doesn't allow this.
:LMAO:

As an aside given your interests: sounds like early December would be a great time to set the alarm early, jump into the jeep, head for the wilderness and hopefully get a great view of a comet in the early eastern sky.
:good:

I plan on it but if the weather is bad I might have to settle for the Discovery/Science Channel coverage.

Thanks Again,

Robert

RE Thomason Jr.