Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Groovin_DC-10

How Will XP10 Run On My System?

I tried the demo very briefly but something wasn't right.  My download speed is very slow and I left the PC to download overnight.  Woke up the next day and noticed there was a power outage while I was asleep.  Not sure if it happened during or after downloading.

With the demo, I was getting 24fps.  I tried everything but couldn't find any menu or anything.  It just starts in the default 747 VC.  So not sure if the demo got corrupted.

I know my fps should be higher after reading some of the XP10 discussions.

If I were to run the Global 64-bit version, how would it run on my set up?  What kind of graphics setting can I expect? (autogen, bloom, hdr, road traffic, airplane traffic, etc)

AMD 955BE @ 4ghz

8g DDR3

60g SSD (OS Win7 Ultimate)

250g SSD (FS9/FSX: 168g remaining for XP10 and other FS9/FSX add ons I may install)

GTX 560

With the announcement from PMDG and now REX, I think it's time for me to give XP10 a try.  I just hope soon we can see global airport buildings, seasons, airline traffic, and better ATC.

Since FS9/FSX are my main sims, is it possible to set the controls in XP10 exactly like what I have now in FSX?

Thanks

Move your mouse to the top of the screen and you'll find the menu. The demo is only a time/scenery limited version of the full version. You can try every setting of the full version.

Manual:

http://www.x-plane.com/v10-online-desktop-manual/#configuringtherenderingoptions

Performance tips:

http://developer.x-plane.com/2011/12/tips-for-better-frame-rates-pt-1/

Thanks Georges.

I will try downloading the demo again before bed.  I already deleted the first one because I thought it got corrupted.  It was quite a while ago.

Still curious to hear how it performs on other people's machines that are similar to mine.

Your system is somewhat similar to my old one (Ph-II @ 3.7 GHz, GTX 460). If you're a bit conservative with object density, traffic and shadows, you should be able to get excellent performance from the sim.

Just like FSX, it's possible to bring the simulation to a crawl if you just crank everything to the max (this is even true for my new 4.5 GHz Haswell system). Also, just like FSX, there are certain scenery areas that just kill the FPS no matter what. However, unlike FSX, you actually do gain a lot of FPS by turning down a few things, and the frame rate outside of major cities is always great with not the slightest hint of a stutter.

Your system is somewhat similar to my old one (Ph-II @ 3.7 GHz, GTX 460). If you're a bit conservative with object density, traffic and shadows, you should be able to get excellent performance from the sim.

Just like FSX, it's possible to bring the simulation to a crawl if you just crank everything to the max (this is even true for my new 4.5 GHz Haswell system). Also, just like FSX, there are certain scenery areas that just kill the FPS no matter what. However, unlike FSX, you actually do gain a lot of FPS by turning down a few things, and the frame rate outside of major cities is always great with not the slightest hint of a stutter.

Thanks Jimmi.  I wasn't able to download the demo last night because other people wanted to use the internet.

I think I will just buy it and give it a shot.  Were you able to run bloom and hdr on your older system?  I don't mind setting other sliders down as long as I can still see the buildings with a decent amount of moving traffic.  Hope the night lighting doesn't kill too much fps.

I believe I used HDR. As for buildings, it was a choice between Global Shadows or a high building density. I could crank each setting up quite a bit individually, but running with both turned up a decent amount was too much for my old system.

Thanks.  I don't mind flying without shadows.

I'll give it a try and see how it goes.  Now I'm thinking about getting a bigger SSD if I'm going to add XP10.

Thanks again.