Sign in to follow this  
philfab2

Cold and Dark plus others

I have flown the 777 as captain and now am sim instructor on 300ER.  This is not to say I am the owner of all knowlege 777 - far from it, but I'm also not a kid leaning on the fence at an airport dreaming of one day being able to fly.  I have noted several posts about cold and dark.  It is very unusual for a pilot to see this - but not impossible.  With ETOPS, EDTO (several terms) there is a bit of checking to be done before the beast gets airborne, so usually one will arrive at the aircraft fully powered up with packs on and maybe even a brew of coffee already made.  My query is in the PMDG model, the default on the NAV RAD page is for the radios to all be manually tuned (M) which locks out any auto tune.  The correct default should be Auto (A) on the three selections.  I have also noted if I turn off an airway using HDG SEL and try to intercept a new airway by putting the airway designator in L1 RTE page, hoping to put the end point in R1, I get INVALID ENTRY.  I do believe this is an error.  Another post mentioned that you cannot put anything in the fix page.  I concur.  Also, when EXITing a hold, the holding pattern behind the aircraft should be removed.  I haven't had too much time to 'play' but am extremely impressed at just how close to the real beast your model is.  I cannot even start to get my head around how you could achieve this, when the real one has such amazing computing power.  The most sincere congratulations on the incredible product you have produced.

P.S.  I notice on many of the videos that are around, people are waiting to get oil pressure, or some N1 or N2 figure before selecting the FUEL CONTROL SWITCH to RUN.  Definitely not required!  The AUTOSTART system will take care of all start malfunctions except no oil pressure - which requires the ABORTED START procedure. (Unannunciated).  I am really hanging out for the 300ER, mainly as I am more familiar with 'the numbers'.  Best regards, Phil

Phil McConnell

Hi Phil,

I have a question in the area of your profession. There is another post, but i write here too. I'm looking for documentation set which can help me to organise self study and training process. By reading FCOMs, FCTM I can get theory, where I can get a tasks to perform? For example how to set up correct Touch-n-Go training is not clear for me at all. Should I do IFR or VFR, ILS or Visual etc. Perhaps there is a kid of MegaBook where it says Day1, Task1 - Takeoff Engine failure training. Airport, Weather, Weight, Fuel, Task story, Goal? I even can't find what types of non standard operations are trained at simulator.

Thank you in advance! 

The cold and dark panel state is bugged; PMDG is aware of this and it will be fixed in the service pack.

I'm pretty sure the bugs he mentioned are not due to the bugged cold and dark panel state.  I could be wrong though.  

If we have another 777 captain on the forums with only two bugs to report so far, I'd say we are in great shape.