Sign in to follow this  
Jgid

Active sky Evolution Questions

Hello

I am planning to purchase PFPX along with Active Sky Evolution soon and I had a few questions. The primary reason I am purchasing ASE is for the real world weather engine. I am not interested in enhanced graphics, the reason I am not getting AS2012. I just want to make sure however, there is not advantage in getting AS2012 for the weather simulation. Is the only advantage better graphics? When I was researching PFPX, I noticed something about needing to purchase a weather subscription after one year of use to keep the weather features in PFPX. Is ASE able to provide the weather data (Winds, altimeter setting, etc.) in replacement of the weather subscription from PFPX?

Thanks for the help!

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

If you are considering ASE for FSX, I highly recommend waiting a few more days for ASN for FSX release (December 9th).  You can use the free trial for 7 days.  This is much newer and way more advanced than ASE, and focuses on weather simulation (no graphics included).  Find out more at www.activeskynext.com

AS2012 has a few nicer features than ASE and weather data downloads are free with all Active Sky engines. AS2012 would be well worth the few extra bucks IMO. Also, if ever you decide to have nice cloud textures you will have them. Now, there is also a new engine being released by HiFi within the next few days called ASN, suppose to be "revolutionary".

Opps you trumped me Damian. :)

If you are considering ASE for FSX, I highly recommend waiting a few more days for ASN for FSX release (December 9th).  You can use the free trial for 7 days.  This is much newer and way more advanced than ASE, and focuses on weather simulation (no graphics included).  Find out more at www.activeskynext.com

AS2012 has a few nicer features than ASE and weather data downloads are free with all Active Sky engines. AS2012 would be well worth the few extra bucks IMO. Also, if ever you decide to have nice cloud textures you will have them. Now, there is also a new engine being released by HiFi within the next few days called ASN, suppose to be "revolutionary".

Opps you trumped me Damian. :)

I never even knew about the new version! I will definitely be buying ASN when it comes out. 

Thanks!

It looks like you may choose to go with ASN instead of ASE since it's about to be released, but I was in the same boat as you when AS2012 was first released about 2 years ago, as I ultimately opted not to get it, thinking it was really just ASE with a graphics package bundled to compete with REX, which I had no use for.   Boy was I wrong, and I regret to say I only found out for myself that it offers some worthwhile improvements to the Hifi weather engine just 2 months ago.  All this time, I really really could have enjoyed features like the improved overcast cloud simulation, including reduced visibility inside of clouds!   And I believe the new feature that allows you to upload winds to the PMDG 777 FMC automatically is only offered on AS2012, not ASE.   Anyhow, just when I was getting comfortable with the newfound overcast realism and other incremental under the hood improvements, along comes ASN!    It's a nice problem to have, because ASN is going to revolutionize FSX, but I feel like I missed out on a lot by not getting AS2012 sooner.   Thankfully there is a upgrade discount.

Sorry for the digression, but if ASN was not about to "drop" I'd wholeheartedly recommend you get AS2012.