Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jetsmell

FSX and Windows 8

If you have Windows 8 or 8.1 let me know what you think. Personally I have had nothing but problems. I probably hold the record here in this forum with  the most inquiries as to how to solve FSX Problems. I have a Windows 7 Home Edition on my shelf that has never been used on this computer, it's eleven months old( can't remember if it was used on my old one ), but one way or the other I'm getting Windows 7.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

No problems at all now. I am using win 8 64 bit version. If You dig deep into windows 8 code at its core it is actually windows 7 with different looks and features. As for compatibility - I have some addons made for fsx - don't cause crashes. I have tweaked my cfg according to kostas guide - no issues + superb smoothness with vsync 1/2 refresh rate tweak.

I had some crashes - at first it was livery pack for default 737 but it was buggy. Than it was the uiautomationcore issue - put vista 32 bit version in the fsx folder - from that time no crashes.

I am running the game literally maxed out without ground shadows and it is über good performance. I also used nvidia cp to adjust anti aliasing and stuff - game looks beautiful. My addon list currently is ftx global, Rex, gsx, and accufeel v2. Soon 737 ngx PMDG and fs2crew later on. From 2 days I'm also using ASN and ENB series.

Why do I mention mods I use is to show You that they didn't mess up my game because it's windows 8. IMO the main problem with instability on win 8 comes from a) poor quality addons, b) not setting administrator rights properly (always run game and addons like Rex as admin with compatibility mode with xp or 7), c) messy system, d)faulty CPU/bad psu/bad overclocking

So basically - first You need to set up fsx vanilla properly and make sure it is good to go and no crashes. Than add add ons one by one and check if any causes instability.

And if You have an issue just post event viewer log or appcrashview report (even better). Every issue has solution.