Sign in to follow this  
brucek

Changing SATA ports for existing SSD/HDD devices

I have several SSD’s (SATA III)  in my PC, and hadn’t realized that the fact that I have them attached to my motherboard ports alongside SATA II HDD’s, that the slower communication protocol of the SATA II’s would limit the communication speed of my SSD’s.  So, what I would like to do is re-arrange the ports on my motherboard that are connected to my SSD’s and HDD’s to hopefully isolate the SATA II group from the SATA III.

When I re-arrange these drive connections to different ports, what effect will that have as far as driver letter and any other drive issues?  The most important I expect is if I re-arrange my SSD ( CJ that I boot to, and where Windows 8 is located…..  does BIOS boot to a drive letter, or to a physical drive number (related to which port the drive is connected to)?  (I expect the latter).  So I expect I would need to go into BIOS to re-configure the boot drive order.

This is one of those issues where I have a perfectly functioning PC that I don’t want to screw up-  but getting that faster SATA III communication speed is tempting….

Thanks for any advice,  Bruce.

For almost every motherboard designed for use with Win 7 or 8, there will be no effect on drive letters. If for some odd reason they do change, just go into Windows Disk Management and put them back to the original letters.