Sign in to follow this  
Mr767

Dusk/Dawn: Video board kneeling with DX10

I was able to test available tweaks and modifications to run with DX10, quickly got around vsync problems and established a steady frame rate. The problem is my GPU can't handle the DX10 configuration very well. Even with the a humble 2AA setting, it kneels in dusk/dawn conditions.  So far, DX9 can handle similar environments, maintaining 24-28, which is exactly the minimum of what I need to keep my hungry FSX heart satisfied... B)

Other than that it flew great and looked beautiful. Always prefer stability and smoothness over anything else, I'll stick with DX9 until I get a new video board. So far, it doesn't look like FSX supports SLI technology. I would like to utilize the full (x2) VGA capacity, but according to monitoring tools only the first card listed is running FSX. SLI is also set as disabled in GPU-Z.

As you indicated, I think your issue is the choice of card and it's tiny memory, 767: one of my friends here runs a pair of GTX 580's and 3 x 27" monitors in Surround - and it works extremely well in DX10, giving what my 780 does with 3 x 19". 

Compare:-

GTX 650:-

Memory Interface Width 128-Bit  <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Memory Bandwidth 80 GB/sec  <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

GTX580:-

Memory Interface Width 384-bit

Memory Bandwidth 192.4 GB/sec

GTX780

Memory Bandwidth       288.4 GB/sec

These are the settings, plus the memory, which count with FSX.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

As you indicated, I think your issue is the choice of card and it's tiny memory, 767: one of my friends here runs a pair of GTX 580's and 3 x 27" monitors in Surround - and it works extremely well in DX10, giving what my 780 does with 3 x 19". 

Compare:-

GTX 650:-

Memory Interface Width 128-Bit  <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Memory Bandwidth 80 GB/sec  <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

GTX580:-

Memory Bandwidth 192.4 GB/sec

GTX780

Memory Bandwidth       288.4 GB/sec

These are the settings, plus the memory, which count with FSX.

Thank you for that input, Paul.

Firstly - any chance you have a link to your friend or the setup-procedure to run FSX in SLI-configuration? (I already run surround, but only need one of my cards for that)

I am aware that I went for the budget-card. When purchasing new cards a few months ago, I still had not realized how far FSX has come in 2013. At this point, the software justifies a real investment in a sophisticated video board, and I will probably soon find myself heading back to the hardware store...

In the meantime, FSX with DX9 performs decent on my modest desktop. In fact, compared to previous hardware-environments, I have gained practically 100% improvement in terms of fps. With 24-29 fps at most airports, you tend to think less about hardware and more about flying: Which is exactly what should be the focus.

This is an appropriate update: I previously stated my system kneeled on dusk/dawn-conditions. I have now done further testing: I get steady non-stuttering fps 24-29 and experience extreme (!) advantages over DX9.

DX10 produce new stutter free, fast, and visually improved flight simulation which to my knowledge is quite a breakthrough for the troubled old FSX.

I get a slight setback in fps in extreme cloud-conditions, but really don't need to fly in a tornado :blink: on a daily basis - no need to complain.

There are some remarkable advantages to DX10 - I am definitely a convert! One of the most obvious advantages to DX10 is all the extra fps - very reliable performance compared to DX9.

This is an appropriate update: I previously stated my system kneeled on dusk/dawn-conditions. I have now done further testing: I get steady non-stuttering fps 24-29 and experience extreme (!) advantages over DX9.

DX10 produce new stutter free, fast, and visually improved flight simulation which to my knowledge is quite a breakthrough for the troubled old FSX.

I get a slight setback in fps in extreme cloud-conditions, but really don't need to fly in a tornado :blink: on a daily basis - no need to complain.

There are some remarkable advantages to DX10 - I am definitely a convert! One of the most obvious advantages to DX10 is all the extra fps - very reliable performance compared to DX9.

Mind sharing what finally got you the performance you were looking for?

Mind sharing what finally got you the performance you were looking for?

But of course,

WIth DX10 and anti-aliasing is set to X2, I finally got what I was looking for in FSX.

Any improvement beyond this is just a bonus. I made a mistake purchasing my X2 Geforce GTX 650, thinking the model had SLI-capability. It doesn't. Regardless, I still get steady 28-30 fps (surround) with fair weather. Somewhat lower performance with heavy cumulus layers, but still steady.

Every now and then there is the occasional stutter, but they are far and few between. 

Thank you.