Sign in to follow this  

Can anyone tell me the difference between all of the different shadow options? I.e what does each one add? Should I go 'overlay' or 'medium'? What advantage/does it change?

Thanks

Ian

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Can anyone tell me the difference between all of the different shadow options? I.e what does each one add? Should I go 'overlay' or 'medium'? What advantage/does it change?

Thanks

Ian

It should be something like that:

STATIC: static aircraft shadow on the ground (i.e. not moving with sun position) if HDR is off; no shadows if HDR is on;

OVERLAY: dynamic aircraft shadow on the ground (i.e. moving with sun position) if HDR is off; no shadows if HDR is on;

3D ON AIRCRAFT: dynamic aircraft shadows AND self shadows; dynamic virtual cockpit shadows;

GLOBAL: like 3D ON AIRCRAFT, plus scenery shadows (trees, buildings);

higher GLOBAL settings (low->med->high) increase the resolution of all shadows (i.e., lower settings give jagged shadows, higher settings give smoother shadows) and the draw distance of scenery shadows (i.e. you see buildings and trees shadows from farther away);

I think that the "melt your GPU" setting only makes a difference (compared to "GLOBAL (high)") when HDR is on.