Sign in to follow this  
arnobg

yet another new pc build for fsx...so confused

Hello all,

I am an old fs2002 enthusiast looking to get back into the world of flight sims using fsx deluxe.... and it has grown very much! My current core 2 duo system is outdated and not worth upgrading so I am looking to do a good build right the first time. After reading for a week or two now for hours a day, I feel more knowledgeable in some areas and others just even more confused then before due to all the different opinions. 

I plan on doing an i5 or i7 build and hooking up to a DVI dell monitor to pull up plates and such on and a 40" plasma tv for the flying. 

I don't have an unlimited budget and am hoping I can re-use a few things such as my 500w power supply and my current case and hard drive possibly. 

Most of my confusion has come from all these different series of CPU's and such. I am willing to overclock lightly to get better performance but not past the point of safely doing so with air cooling only. Some people saying the GPU is more important, others saying the CPU. I really just want a solid machine (I will be running windows 7 64bit) to run fsx only on decent settings with possible 2-3 big airport scenery add ons and maybe the 737 NGX addon. 

In addition the amount of video cards is overwhelming so with the suggestion for a CPU a graphics card suggestion would be great.

Can I accomplish reasonable settings with a lower cost i5 setup over the i7, and which series should I go for based on my plans with light overclocking? Thanks all help is appreciated!

Two things needed to get you headed in the right direction. First would be, what is your budget? Second would be, what is your general area? US, England, Australia? Prices vary by region.

I recently built an i5 3570 based system and am happy with it. I could have spent more $$$, but I've always seemed to drop down a level from tip-top tier products and have had good results and saved some money doing so.

Reading this may be helpful; NickN is consider as one of the top all-time FSX gurus:

http://www.simforums.com/forums/the-fsx-computer-system-the-bible-by-nickn_topic46211_post281366.html#281366

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)