Sign in to follow this  
samtx

Converting saved game progress to an offline profile?

I've been looking into the GFWL shutdown a bit more lately and have started using a GFWL Offline Profile for a few other games, which theoretically may allow me to save and continue playing offline after the final complete shutdown (when the GFWL login server no longer responds).

However, my many hours of Flight saved game progress (challenges, unlocked paints, aerocaches) is tied to my main GFWL Online profile. For other games, I have read the the saved progress is tied to the online profile, so if you simply copy the saved game/progress files into a new profile folder it won't work.

Has anyone tried converting their Flight Online Profile to an offline profile and been able to reload the saved game progress for offline play?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I believe Flight doesn't work with offline profiles, but haven't tried that recently.  When it comes to offline profiles it can be confusing what people mean.  There are the following types of accounts:

- Live profile, connected to Live

- Live profile, playing offline (I believe it requires having signed in to Live at some point in the past on that machine for the credentials to be download locally)

- Offline profile (Flight was supposed to be designed not to work in this case)

Flight also allows you to play without any profile, but you are limited to the Stearman, and no DLC will load.

From my chats with the Flight support\community guys they believe Flight will still continue to function after the Live servers go down.  Apparently they tested this by disconnecting the network.  I believe that may be true until you try to play on another machine where you have never signed in.  At that point I think you may be screwed.  Because of this I have created a GFWL replacement that will still let you play Flight with all your DLC (although aerocaches, multiplayer, etc. no longer function).  I will consider releasing it once the servers go down if Flight functionality is broken.  Currently my replacement doesn't load the same career data, so you have to start over.  I haven't looked into whether I can fix that yet.

Because of this I have created a GFWL replacement that will still let you play Flight with all your DLC (although aerocaches, multiplayer, etc. no longer function). I will consider releasing it once the servers go down if Flight functionality is broken.

Awesome. B)   It would be a shame to lose the ability to play the game completely, and to be honest I can't see any real reason for Microsoft to keep the servers up for longer than they have to, they cannot make any more money from Flight. 

From my chats with the Flight support\community guys they believe Flight will still continue to function after the Live servers go down. Apparently they tested this by disconnecting the network. I believe that may be true until you try to play on another machine where you have never signed in. At that point I think you may be screwed. Because of this I have created a GFWL replacement that will still let you play Flight with all your DLC (although aerocaches, multiplayer, etc. no longer function). I will consider releasing it once the servers go down if Flight functionality is broken. Currently my replacement doesn't load the same career data, so you have to start over. I haven't looked into whether I can fix that yet.

Thank you for the reply. That's great news either way. I'm very glad to hear you have a backup plan for us to keep flying if MS doesn't come through. I sure would miss Alaska and my Cub. Hawaii too.

I was talking about the third type of Offline Profile that I've started using with a few other games. It allows you to play offline and save game progress, but there are no achivements or other features. I did create the new offline profile on a machine with my existing old online profile, so the machine has a fully working version of GFWL which previously connected online. I asked about converting saves becuase I could try converting them now to see if I could reload my save games with the offline profile, but I'm not sure there is a way to do that.

I'm glad you've been planning ahead and it's always better to research while the official servers are still live so you can observe the traffic. I've seen various solutions which range from completely bypassing GWFL to offering a replacement GWFL .dll. I really hope MS will release something official that will give the right authorization signals to at least allow local offline play of all purchased content.