Sign in to follow this  
BiBaBu

FSX German to English exchange info needed for VoxATC without uninstall

I need badly this great VoxATC software, but my problem is that I have the German FSX version with TONS of Add-Ons, and I'm horrified of the idea of having to install everything all over again, and I need the English FSX version badly, that can be purchased cheaply now for $25.

So my big question: is there any way without uninstalling the FSX German version, to install or maybe exchange the German files to English?

I have the German version of FSX, no problem.

But in order for voice recogition to work with Vox you need an English version of Windows.

What  Windows 7/ 64 do you have (with some versions you can change the language)?

Regards,

Andreas Gutzwiller

For Home Premium or Professional the Vistalizator can add the U.S. English language to your speech recognition. The only drawback is, for English speech recognition to work, you have to switch your OS to English completely (stuff like the control panel will be in English only, after applying the Vistalizator).

But no need to reinstall FSX or addons.

I have WIN 7 Home Premium 64-Bit-Version, and it's ok if I switch the OS to English completely with Vistalizator, but I still need the FSX English version for different reasons:

One major reason is the acoustic COM; it's indeed in English, but its text menu is in German. So how am I suppose to learn and speak the right ATC terminology to communicate with VoxATC, if all menu COM options are in German? Also other reasons like having the library and a lot of mission in English etc... 

So if someone knows how to change my FSX to English without having to reinstall everything all over again, I'll be most grateful. 

If Vistalizator works with W7/64 and if you don't mind to switch the OS to English you are good to go.

Frankly I don't understand why you need an English FSX when using VOX.

VOX completely replaces FSX's ATC (if that is what you mean by "acoustic COM") and if you don't open FSX's ATC window you don't see any German "menu COM options".

In FSX "Einstellungen - Allgemein" untick "Pilotenstimme verwenden".

In "Einstellungen - Ton" untick "Sprache".

Regards,

Andreas Gutzwiller

... and if you don't open FSX's ATC window you don't see any German "menu COM options"...

Yeah, but I need the menu COM options in English - otherwise, how am I supposed to know what to reply? When ATC contacts you, your reply must exactly be one of the COM text options which is recognized by VoxATC and digitally implemented into FSX as having clicked on that text option. 

Also for few more other reasons mentioned above. 

Vox brings its own terminology and its own text for the text-to-speech. Same goes for the speech recognition: You have to learn ATC "the Vox way"; your FSX language doesn't matter.

I thought there is only one international English ATC language that pilots around the world have to learn, and FSX is using it. So if the VoxATC slogan says "as real as it gets", why is there such a big difference between the two, that I have to learn"the Vox way"?

Or let me put this way: if one day I'll be making the pilot licence, is learning the vox way exactly the same way as in real life?

Tough question for "just" a flightsimmer like me:

- FSX default ATC isn't completely realistic in some aspects. AFAK, RadarContact does the best job of all addons to improve ATC procedures and phrases.

- Vox may be a little bit behind of RC, but it has the capability of assigning SIDs and STARs, so Vox will issue the corresponding clearances, which RC can't.

- If you use another payware like MCE in conjunction with RadarContact, RC becomes voice-controlled with tremendous flexibility as far as pilots' phrases (requests, readbacks) are concerned. The coded RC controllers will always stick to a more formal phraseology.

So, for learning ATC, RC may be the better deal overall, but it needs other addons to add the speech recognition capability. MCE as a voice-controlled interface may even lead to some sloppiness on the pilot's side.

For learning ATC, I'd take any offline ATC addon with a grain of salt. Best for actually learning the ATC environment is probably online ATC provided by VATSIM or similar organisations.

Thanks a lot Olli! Really very useful information every SiSi* should know.

*Sincere Simmer