Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TurbofanDude

FSX Windows 8.1 Silent Crash

Hi guys,

Normally, I can find an answer prior to posting a topic, however, this one is stumping me. I have Windows 8.1 x64 with updated (one shy of latest) NVIDIA drivers for my GTX 670 and 8GB of RAM. I can't seem to be able to get through a whole flight. I get about an hour or so in and the sim freezes and silently closes (no exception, no crash message, no event viewer log, nothing).

I was flying the NGX both times and running Squawkbox externally (all internal modules removed from the dll.xml) - only running the Addon Manager (bglmanx) and FSUIPC4 (and of course, the NGX modules). Any suggestions on debugging?

Looks like you have this covered as you are now running Squawkbox externally but just to be sure, if you are running Squawkbox internally there is a bug when you receive a private message FSX freezes, goes black, and crashes.  This same type of crash will occur when you run out of Virtual Address Space (VAS), especially on long flights.  You can open up your FSUIPC.log after the crash to see if you were getting any out-of-memory (it means VAS) warnings.  If you have the uiautomationcore.dll installed in the main fsx folder, remove it to a temporary folder (it did not prevent your crashes).  Some have indicated this module is not compatible with Windows 8 and many here in this CTD Forum have indicated they fixed their crashes by removing this module.  It may also be a sharing issue.  I heard Windows 8 has much more security and it may not like some of these old programs you are trying to run.  If you have an anti-virus program installed, make sure fsx and everything else involved with fsx is allowed to run.  Look in your quarantine folder or location (I admit I know little about anti-virus programs as I have never used one) for anything fsx related that your anti-virus program might have decided not to allow to be installed.

Make sure you download and run AppCrashView as suggested in the AVSIM CTD Guide (link there).  There could have been other crashes.

Best regards,

Jim