Sign in to follow this  
ryanbatc

SSD install ideas?

I think I've settled on a samsung 512 ssd.  I can't figure if I want to spend the extra 150 for the pro or not..   Otherwise it's the EVO.

Anywaym heres my current setup

3 HDD's / 1 SSD

B: SSD for fsx

c: main 1TB HDD for win7 and other programs

d: backup

e: misc storage

I'd like to put win7, fsx, xp10, and BF4 on the SSD

But I don't want to format the main C: drive.

Can I install win7 on the new ssd?  Then change the boot.ini to forget about the win7 install on the C: ?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Can I install win7 on the new ssd? Then change the boot.ini to forget about the win7 install on the C: ?

Yes, that will work.

Instead of editing the boot.ini it might be safer and easier to set the ssd to boot first in Windows then, also in Windows, set the

"Time to display list of operating systems" to zero.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Ok.  What is the general consensus about putting Win7 and FSX on the same drive?  I'd think it would be better because FSX goes out to your OS files anyway for FSX.cfg and other FSX files.

I do have FSX on a sata II drive at the moment.  But I could put Win7 on this one and move FSX, XP, and BF4 to the new one.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Ok.  What is the general consensus about putting Win7 and FSX on the same drive?  I'd think it would be better because FSX goes out to your OS files anyway for FSX.cfg and other FSX files.

I do have FSX on a sata II drive at the moment.  But I could put Win7 on this one and move FSX, XP, and BF4 to the new one.

I think you will find there is no consensus.

The only undeniable advantage of not having the operating system

on the same drive as FSX is that it saves disk space.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

The only files it searches for on the C drive are when initially loading the sim.  All your other texture files and such that are used when flying are all inside the FSX directory.

I have an SSD and only keep my games on it.  Currently there is only FSX and BF4 on it.  I like to keep my SSD as de-cluttered with files as possible, as I have a 500GB main HDD that is used for everything else and there is no reason to throw everything on my SSD - although I am one of the people that likes to keep my PC clean and organized as possible.

Yah I'm thinking about having 3 games on it - may be too much honestly. I'm guessing the EVO has about 460ish usable GB. FSX install is around 100 and that's lite (I keep uninstalling things because my current SSD is only 120 GB.)

BF4 is around 50 GB, XP10 about the same for now.

I contemplated keeping xp10 on my 7200 rpm but XP is so freeking slow to load... Argh. But I use it the least of those three listed.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |