Sign in to follow this  
phanf4

Bad power supply sent with new MCPII

Moderators please delete if you don't feel this topic discussion belongs here for info.  I know there is a vri forum also.

I know this is a LINDA forum but since most MCP owners may look through here for help.  FYI

I received my new MCPII, hooked up everything and when I turned it on the yellow back lighting would just flash very briefly every second but the unit never initialized and the blue displays never lit up.  I cycled the power switch multiple times until finally it started.  This became a routine "Never knowing how may cycles of the power switch it would take".  Doing this could not be good for the unit. :wacko:   To me it seemed like it was not getting enough power to start up.  The power supply that was sent was a universal  i.e. "all AC voltage input to 5V DC 1 amp"  120V AC - 240VAC - 50Hz -60Hz.  I was a little skeptical when reading the stats on the unit AND It was light as a feather.  I just felt cheap.

So instead of going through the hassle of sending the unit back for replacement/or repair and crying over my bad luck I went and got a new 5V DC power supply with this one rated a 2 Amps (and a 6ft cord length :P ) from Radio Shack. Since it was a multi use power supply I had to get a "M" plug connector for it (The connector type on the back of the MCP II unit if your wondering).  When I fired it, up BINGO it works every time.  I am so happy.

SO if your unit starts to just flash in intervals without starting up OR just starts doing it after starting I would suspect your power supply is bad or going bad in not supplying enough voltage.

I know I could have said all this with just a few words but I wanted to be clear on faulty unit indications I was receiving.  PLEASE remember the power supply is a 5V DC.  DO NOT USE A HIGHER VOLTAGE.

I am so happy now.

Tom

I'll have to give this a shot tomorrow.  I just received mine this week as well, and the same issue with the lights flashing. Flipping the switch on-off-on multiple times brings it up. I thought power supply also, since I can sometimes get it to come on by re-plugging into the wall with the power switch on.

Kyle

Main Sim PC: P3D v5.2 & MSFS 2020, i9-10850k @ 5.0 GHz, ASUS Maximus XII Hero, ASUS TUF-RTX3080-12G, Dell U3011 30" IPS monitor, G.Skill 32GB 3200 Trident Z 14-14-14, Samsung 512GB 960 Pro NVMe (OS), Samsung 2TB 970 EVO NVMe (Sim), Win 10 Pro 64, Yoko Yoke, Saitex Combat Rudder Pedals, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Quadrant

I've got about 6 PSU's from VRinsight in total plus a couple of spares I don't use and not one of them has been problematic, so I can assure you this is not a common problem, my mains is 220-240v in the UK, I've never tried them at 110v. Please do at least contact tech support in Korea (address below) to let them know of the issue. If you have any problems getting in contact with support please feel free to PM me at the official forums and I will assist in getting you in touch with them if necessary. Your retailer should replace any faulty DOA items though, that is what they are obliged to do.

TechVRi.jpg

Cheers, Andy.

Andydigital

Thanks for the feedback, and I did send an email to vrinsight letting them know of this condition.  Since it seems like at least one other person that may have this problem.  VRinsight may have gotten a recent bad batch of power supplies from their vendor.

But all in all I am very happy with the product.