Sign in to follow this  
OzWhitey

What rig for P3D v2?

Hi all,

I'm flying P3D v2 almost all the time now. Works pretty good, but I'm wondering if a system upgrade will help my frames/smoothness/ability to use lots of addons.

I fly with: photoscenery very frequently (usually very hi-res homemade stuff), Orbx with lots of autogen other times. I like lots of AI traffic, REX 4 clouds, OPUS and complex airports on occasion.

Currently using an OC'd i7 950 @4000MHz that was built specifically for FSX with the best components I could find 3 years ago. I updated the video card last Christmas with an EVGA 680 FTW with 4 gig of memory.

Three questions:

Do you think I'd see much improvement with a Haswell (or Ivy Bridge) build? I figure on a bit more processing power and probably better bandwidth with the GPU (PCI-E 3), SSDs and memory. But P3D v2 is of course less CPU-bound.

Would an upgrade to a 780 Ti make enough difference to make me happy?

How much and which sort of memory would you choose for the above build given my planned usage?

Any suggestions before I spend my $$$ would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Rob

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

Hi Rob,

i fly v2 now nearly 99% of the time. Check my PC settings in my profile. I upgraded from 660ti to 780ti. Made a difference in terms of smoothnes and some FPS. The secret to P3D2 is its configuration. 

Greetz

MJ

My youtube blog________________________Prepar3D v2.5/v3

youtubefooter.jpg

With your current set up what type of FPS are you getting?  My current computer is solid with the lowest component being the older GTX570 video card.  I currently run at around 40 FPS with high to ultra settings, nominal traffic and 1 scenery addon (Mega earth).

I'm newish to Flight Sims so just getting spun up on what I think I need to have.  Bought a Yoke and Pedals a few weeks ago... got Megaearth for my state and a few planes last week.  Now looking into some additional scenery addons but wasn't sure if I need to update my video card to make it worth it.

Hey Bob, I'm not sure quoting FPS is very useful as it really depends on where my sliders are! Let's say 20-30 FPS, more when the install was new (with no addons), less now with MyTraffic X, Rex 4, OPUS, FSDT/FLyTampa/Orbx AU SP4 etc.

Although I like all types of flying my number one wish is perfect photoscenery performance.

Done a  little bit of reading in the last few hours since posting, am thinking at the moment of:

• Haswell i7 4770K
  • ASUS Z87 Mobo ?Which
  • Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro - saw 2400MHz recommended in another thread but my (big, online) computer store doesn't seem to have faster than 2133MHz as a stocked item - is 2400MHz new, and is it necessary?
  • Keep my current Noctua NH-D14, Antec case and 850W power supply, various HDDs, optical drives etc
  • Get a new 500gig/1Tb SSD so I don't keep running out of room on the P3D drive (once Orbx start releasing more P3D v2 installers)
  • Stick with Win 7 64 bit

Comments?

Oz

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

Rob,

I just did a build with the 4770K and the ASUS Z87-Plus.  They are good choices.  

As far as which Z87 model you pick, it really depends on what bonus features you want.  Newegg did a good video with JJ (the guy from Asus who is all over the internet) going over the features of all of their mainstream Z87 Mobos.  I chose the Z87-Plus because it provided all the standard features, including Crossfire support for my 2 cards, but I did not need on-board WiFi which is the major feature added to the next step up (Z87-Pro).  Watch the video I referenced, though, and I think it will help you.

For memory I used Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866 MHz.  Personally, I doubt that you'd see a difference at 2400 MHz vs 2133 that would justify the expense, but I'm sure there are benchmarks out there to confirm that.

Bill

Intel Core i7 8700-K (OC'd)  |  Noctua D-15S Cooler  |  Asus ROG Strix Z-370E Motherboard  |  G-Skill Trident-Z 32GB DDR4-3200 RAM  |  Samsung 970 Evo 1TB SSD  |  EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Video Card x 2 (2-Way SLI)  |  Corsair 750D Airflow Edition Case upgraded with Noctua fans  |  Corsair 1000W Power Supply  |  MSI - Optix MAG24C 23.6" 1920x1080 144Hz Monitor x 3  |  Windows 10 Home 64-bit

i7 4770k is a good choice and the mobo too. One thing to add ons. i do have some add ons instlled but i switched nearly all off that are not 100% compatible to P3D2 like FSDT and Flightbeam stuff they do hav the installer but have some performance issues due to some old FS9 code or so.

I used Ultimate Traffic 2 for quite some time with P3D2 and had less than 3-4 FPS loss but now i switched it off. I fly mostly choppers low and slow and/or carrier ops so no need for heavy traffic. Good about UT2 it just places traffic around the user plane.

Greetz

MJ

My youtube blog________________________Prepar3D v2.5/v3

youtubefooter.jpg

I'm used to judging everything by FPS... much like how people try to judge fitness with bench press weight.

OK, so at the moment I'm planning on a pretty standard modern FSX build. It's always interesting to come back for a flightsim computer update (for me, it happens about every three years) and try and work out what's changed.

i7 4770K with noctua NH-D14

Asus Z87 Pro mobo

Memory: probably Corsair Vengeance Pro (which should fit under the NH-D14), thinking of the 2133MHz frequency version, planning on 16 gig

New SSD: will be the Samsung EVO (rather than the Pro) - for P3D and X-plane install - probably need 512Gig

New HDD: Western Digital 4TB Black - for photoscenery etc

OS: Still planning on Windows 7 64 bit but toying with the idea of a Windows 8 install

Graphics: keep the 680 GTX and upgrade to the fabled 790 GTX when it is released

PSU: keep my old 850W non-Haswell compatible PSU and just desibale the C6/C7 power management stuff in the bios (if I've got that right)

Two questions:

1. Any comments on the revised parts list?

and, more importantly...

2. Does anyone have any comments on how a P3D v2 build differes from an optimal FSX build? As far as I can see, apart from having a really good graphics card the principles are pretty similar. But I'm wondering about the relative importance of memory CAS/frequency, things like that.

Cheers,

Rob

Oz

I would stick with Windows 7.  The latest news/rumors are having Windows 9 come out next year, with key features returned to the desktop version (e.g. a true Start menu).  Given the poor upgrade percentage and overall sales for Windows 8, it might go the way of Windows Me and other Microsoft "in-between good releases" OSes.

Bill

Intel Core i7 8700-K (OC'd)  |  Noctua D-15S Cooler  |  Asus ROG Strix Z-370E Motherboard  |  G-Skill Trident-Z 32GB DDR4-3200 RAM  |  Samsung 970 Evo 1TB SSD  |  EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Video Card x 2 (2-Way SLI)  |  Corsair 750D Airflow Edition Case upgraded with Noctua fans  |  Corsair 1000W Power Supply  |  MSI - Optix MAG24C 23.6" 1920x1080 144Hz Monitor x 3  |  Windows 10 Home 64-bit

I would stick with Windows 7.  The latest news/rumors are having Windows 9 come out next year, with key features returned to the desktop version (e.g. a true Start menu).  Given the poor upgrade percentage and overall sales for Windows 8, it might go the way of Windows Me and other Microsoft "in-between good releases" OSes.

Probably sensible.

I hear talk of Win 8 being the only way to get future DirectX 11.x updates. And I think the disappearing joysticks etc will get worked out. But seems P3D v2 is programmed with Win 7 64 bit i mind (as far as I can tell).

Win 8 also has better SSD performance, I believe - that was the other thing I was thinking of as I'm planning to put P3D on a SSD (I currently run the OS and flightsim on two separate SSDs, 128gig each. Just going to upgrade to 256gig and 512gig, and change from Ocz to Samsung EVO).

Oz

Yeah, there are certainly some advantages to 8 over 7 in the performance realm. I contemplated putting 8 on my recent build, but I'm gonna stick with 7 for the foreseeable future. The recent news about 9 (if it proves accurate) makes me happy that I made that call.

Bill