Im about to buy a new desktop computer to run FSX and PMDG 737ngx but im concerned that it wont run it as well as id like it to? These are the specs...

Brand CSL-Computer Product Dimensions 50.6 x 47 x 23.8 cm Item model number 26249 Processor Brand Intel Processor Type Intel Core i5 Processor Speed 3200 MHz Processor Count 4 RAM Size 8192 MB Computer Memory Type DDR3 SDRAM Hard Drive Size 1000 GB Hard Disk Technology SATA Hard Drive Interface Serial ATA Additional Drives DVD+-RW Graphics Card Description NVIDIA GeForce GT610 Graphics Card Ram Size 2048 MB Hardware Platform PC Operating System Windows 7 Edition Home Premium

Could you give me some advice?

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "The Microsoft Flight Forum" to "MOBO, RAM, CPU's & Other Hardware". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

Hello Paul,

here is my suggestion to you:

1) Intel i7 4770k (Haswell), and a Nvidia GTX780; if running the CPU at less than 4.2 Ghz, then you can opt for a GTX770.

2) Intel i7 3770k (Ivy Bridge) and Nvidia GTX680, GTX770, GTX 780, if below 4.0 Ghz; Nvidia GTX 770, GTX780 if above 4.0 Ghz.

RAM 8 GB ( 2X4), no more, waste of money. Go for low timings, like DDR3 2400 (9-11-11-31).

Go for SSD, at least for your FSX drive.

3) Low budget system:  Intel 2600k/2700k and GTX 580, GTX670 if CPU below 4 Ghz; above 4 Ghz, GTX 580, GTX 680.

Just pick one, according to your budget, hope this helps,

Enrico :)

PS. In any case, never forget that what you decide to install on your FSX will have an impact on overall performance.

Hello Paul,

here is my suggestion to you:

1) Intel i7 4770k (Haswell), and a Nvidia GTX780; if running the CPU at less than 4.2 Ghz, then you can opt for a GTX770.

2) Intel i7 3770k (Ivy Bridge) and Nvidia GTX680, GTX770, GTX 780, if below 4.0 Ghz; Nvidia GTX 770, GTX780 if above 4.0 Ghz.

RAM 8 GB ( 2X4), no more, waste of money. Go for low timings, like DDR3 2400 (9-11-11-31).

Go for SSD, at least for your FSX drive.

3) Low budget system:  Intel 2600k/2700k and GTX 580, GTX670 if CPU below 4 Ghz; above 4 Ghz, GTX 580, GTX 680.

Just pick one, according to your budget, hope this helps,

Enrico :)

PS. In any case, never forget that what you decide to install on your FSX will have an impact on overall performance.

+1

Very sound advice!

Just be careful with the Memory speed and timing (2400MHZ CL9) if you go with option 2 or option 3.

I could be wrong but I don't think the IMC on those older chips will be able to cope very well with that speed and latency. If you go with options 2 or 3 don't forget to consider the used market. You could get some great deals with Ivy Bridge users selling parts and upgrading to Haswell.

I would also encourage you to read the system build guide here on AVSIM. For a concise FSX education read NickN's FSX Bible and Haswell 4.8ghz on air, threads on simforums.com. Before you spend a penny on FSX read these threads. if you trust to luck or the marketing of highend hardware you will almost certain to get it wrong. Don't thrust what system builders tell you unless you are using a system builder that specifically caters to the Flight Sim (FSX) enthusiast. GO READ FIRST!

I have an i7 37770k at 4.5 GHz with an EVGA 680GTX with a Zalman cooler at 75 deg max core temp and 8Gb RAM 2133 MHz.  Does anyone have a feel for what improvements are gained upgrading to a 780 GTX?  I currently run FSX with ASN, Megascenery Earth the PMDG 737 NGX, F1 King Air 200 or F1 Mustang.

Thanks

Louis

I doubt the gain if any would be worth the cost of the upgrade for FSX!

The 680GTX is a good match for the reset of your hardware you have.

Now if you are intending on using P3DV2 that might be a different story

but you should wait until you get a response from someone who has made that

change and see it they say its worth it.