Sign in to follow this  
martinlest2

Throttle causes spoilers to deploy and cowl flaps to open!

I haven't flown the Level-D 767 for a few months (this is FS9) and I now find that when I am ready to taxi and increase throttle, the spoilers come up and the cowl flaps open...

This is undoubtedly somethi9ng to do with the interaction between my Saitek X52 and my (registered version of) FSUIPC. If I increase power by using F3 or F4 on the keyboard, there is no problem - but as soon as I touch the throttles on the X52... I am reasonably OK with the Saitek setup but am hardly familiar at all with the FSUIPC interface.

I do not have this problem with any other aircraft, just the Level-D 767. Could somebody kindly help me to sort this out (I'll need step-by-step for the FSUIPC! I tried a few 'solutions' on the axis assignment tab, but they only made things worse: the spoilers no longer went back down when I used the X52. I only managed to get that back working by overwriting my FSUIPC.ini with a backup version)>

Thanks,

Martin

Hi

Those aren't cowl flaps those are thrust reversers.

What's happening is that the position your X52 throttle is in is in the reverse zone. In FSUIPC when you're setting your idle,max and reverse or whatever those three options are called make sure the idle setting is about 100 more then the reverse.

For example I have the saitek throttle quadrant and in fsuipc my setting for idle is -15900 or -16000 and my reverse section is -16384.

Hope that helps a bit

Lee

Sounds like you have duplicate assignments. If you want to assign in FSUIPC make sure you have nothing assigned to the throttle in FS9 or in your Saitek software. FS9 has a habit of automatically assigning controls which can complicate matters.

What I do is "disable joystick" in FS9 and assign everything through FSUIPC, axes and buttons. Using the "specific aircraft" checkbox ( or profile) in FSUIPC, this means I can have a different setup for each aircraft type. If you want to go down this route i suggest you uninstall the saitek software first.

Remember in FSUIPC for axes you need to assign first, then calibrate. I really suggest you read through the manual relating to assignments/calibration and all will become clear!

Peter Schluter

Those aren't cowl flaps those are thrust reversers. Yes, of course they are, I realise now!

In FSUIPC when you're setting your idle,max and reverse or whatever those three options are called make sure the idle setting is about 100 more then the reverse. At some stage I ought to learn the FSUIPC interface! I'll go and see if I can find where I set idle, max, reverse etc. but may well be posting again to ask how, unless it's blindingly obvious! Or I'll see if I can find the FSUIPC manual..

Thanks Lee.

M

Edit: What I was trying to do was to turn off all axis & joystick assignments in FSUIPC and just use FS9 + my X52 profiles, but I know so little about FSUIPC I am not sure if this is even an option, let alone how to do it. I certainly don't want to uninstall my Saitek software...

Its one of the tabs.

It's early here but it's in the calibrate tab as said above. Reset and calibrate again. Should be on the first page under calibrate and say "Throttle"

Ok, this is my tab. I have four values; that changes to just two when I reset, so I guess that's OK. The values change of course as I move the throttle, but I'm afraid I am no nearer to seeing what I must do to stop the reversers and spoilers deploying when I increase engine power. How do I "make sure the idle setting is about 100 more then the reverse" - I can't enter numbers directly into the boxes.

I loaded some other aircraft and am getting the same effect there - reversers employed as I move the X52 throttle. I made no changes myself to Saitek, FS9 or to FSUIPC .. this just started happening last night. I spend SO much more time trying to fix problems like this that constantly surface than flying - it gets depressing to be honest. maybe my setup is too overloaded with extras after all these years?

Is there any reason why I should have FSUIPC managing this stuff at all? Everything worked as I wanted it before I got the registered version. I still can't see how turn off these functions in FSUIPC in order to give back control of axes and so on to FS9 and Saitek. Nothing I have tried has worked so far, as I say, they just make the situation worse in that the spoilers then go up and stay up, no matter what I do.

I'll search out the manual again, but I don't have the time right now for any steep learning curves.

Thanks again!

post-110788-0-65220800-1390663702.jpg

In the end I left FSUIPC and unloaded my X52 profile and reloaded it. That cured the problem (not sure why, as I had rebooted in the interim), but as soon as I reloaded the a/c it was back, so I am no further forward!

Noticed an X52 problem:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/433226-saitek-x52-problem-deadzones/

.. but I still think it is the way FSUIPC is now set up: if I temporarily move all the FSUIPC files out of the FS9/Modules folder, the problem is resolved. restoring my backed up FSUIPC.ini file didn't help...

If you want to remove FSUIPC settings go to the assignment tab. Move the axis while pressing rescan, then press clear.

I really do suggest you do a bit of reading of the manual though. FSUIPC is by bfar the best way to set your joystick up, and as i said earlier you can have a specific setup/calibration for each aircraft you fly.

Peter Schluter

Peter,

I have looked at the manual, but it's long and some parts quite complex: in the short term I just wanted to be able to fly again without the spoilers coming up all the time.

I've tried what you suggest, pressing the Rescan button on the axis assignments tab then moving the X52 throttle up and down, finally pressing 'clear' and that seems to have done the trick (many thanks!! I was lookin g for that in the manual, but with no success - not that I read every page!). I need to test a few flight sbefore I breath a sigh of relief that I can fly again though.

I just wish I knew why this has suddenly occurred out of the blue, after using the Saitek joystick and registered FSUIPC together for ages with no problems!

Martin