Sign in to follow this  
tripecac

DX10 wrong ground textures (and DX9 doesn't work at all)

Today I started up FSX for the first time in months.  I flew the standard route that I always do when getting back into FSX, which is around Wanaka Airport in New Zealand.  I am using 2 sets of add-on scenery in that area: ORBX's New Zealand South Island, and GodZone's RealNZ Wanaka.

After flying for about 3 minutes I noticed some black textures on nearby mountains.  And then I noticed water textures in the middle of the town.  As I flew closer, the water textures changed to other textures quickly, as if it were cycling through different textures looking for the correct one.  Weird.  Clearly a glitch.

I checked my settings and noticed that FSX was using the DirectX 10 preview, so I switched to DX9 and restarted FSX.  This time, no textures loaded at all: the image of the plane on the Free Flight page was completely black, and when the actual game started, it just flashed "Loading 100%" over and over, with black in the background.  I switched back to DX10.  The Free Flight image was there, and I could start flying.  But again, some of the  nearby ground textures were corrupt.

So, DX10 has corrupt ground textures, and DX9 has no textures.

My video card is an ATI Radeon HD 5850.  I'm running the latest driver (13.12).  I usually use DX9 but a few months ago, a driver update (13.9) "broke" FSX for me; it would not run at all in DX9.  The standard advice was to roll back to a previous driver (13.4), but since I play other games I did not want to do that.  I found that switching to DX10 enabled FSX to run, but I didn't have time to do much testing of DX10 at the time. 

I don't know if today's texture glitches were also present back on 13.9; I didn't fly around enough back then to notice them.  I also don't know if the texture glitches have always been present in DX10, since I have mostly flown with DX9.  So I don't know for sure whether they are DX10-specific.

I am, however, 100% sure that these texture glitches did not exist back when I was running FSX in DX9 before the 13.9 update.  My scenery add-ons have not changed since then, so I suspect the problem is driver related.

NOTE: If I disable RealNZ Wanaka, the glitches go away (but I lose the detail that RealNZ Wanaka provides).  So there appears to be a conflict between the video card and the add-on scenery.

Here are my questions:

1) Are the ground texture glitches a known problem for DirectX 10?  If so, is there a fix? 

2) Is there a way to get DirectX 9 working on current Radeon drivers?  Or is rolling back to 13.4 the only known fix?

Thanks!

post-277723-0-82348500-1390680437.jpg

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "MS FSX Forum" to "DX-10 Discussions, Hints and Help". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

Problem fixed (I think), at least for DX10; it appears to have been a cpnflict between 2 add-on scenery packages.  Fixed by renaming a particular scenery file.

DX9 still does not work.  No big loss, though, as DX10 seems fine so far (in my limited testing).