Sign in to follow this  
Guest Kingair315

Aurora Borealis - Hooray!

I just slewed over to Greenland at 67N, heading West at FL350 in a POSKY B742 and saw the Northern Lights for the first time in Fs9. They were wonderful. I'd not seen them since leaving FS2002 last year.Is there a minimum latitude one must be at in order to see this stuff during winter in the northern hemisphere? I was speculating whether MS modelled this above 65deg N since that's where the Arctic Circle starts, isn't it?JS

I just found this at a tour company specializing in Aurora tours (of all things!):"As a general rule north of 60

Yup I live in Sweden so I have seen it in flight simulator a couple of times when venturing up north. Real life I only see it when really up north. You could try fly around a city called "Kiruna" in Sweden. Studied there for a while and they had it like every day almost more or less.

Guest Paul Heaney

I've seen the Aurora's many times while flying from EGLL to CYYZ (Heathrow to Toronto) North of the UK. Pretty cool the first time, then it's an annoying glowing cloud to me after that :)

Thanks for your reply and tip.I just found some incredible real-life pictures of the Aurora on the web and they look EXACTLY like MSFS. I am impressed. I mean, the real-life colors and shapes are just as MS has depicted them. It must be mind blowing to see them in reality.This is intense!JS

They looked different on the ground anyway. It was like a light green glow. First time I saw it in FS 2004 I was high in a Citation X and above me it was a yellow light all over there had no idea what it was. Thought it was a bug or something.

I've never seen them in reality despite flying the north Atlantic and northern polar routes to California many times since 1969. Bad timing.Hey, one other thing: after placing myself about 100 nm west of Sondre Stromfjord in FS9, I was passed by a BA 747-400 en route from EGLL to KSEA, 4000' above me. It was a UT AI plane. Can you beat that?! UT rocks. JS

I've seen them over Alaska a few times. I'm not sure what the trigger is, besides being near the poles...IE: once I flew to Alaska, but didn't see it. But other times, I have...They also have a shooting star module, but I've never seen one of those yet. MK

Guest paddy

I saw the Aurora frequently in MSFS 2002, but never saw it back in FS9, flying under quite the same conditions, though. What triggers it, will be kept away as one of Microsoft's secrets, I fear!

I'm at about 63deg and frequently see auroras especially at this time of year :)Don't see them very often in FS though.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

I guess after this research and thread, maybe one needs to be (a) generally in winter, (:( be 60 to 70 degrees north (try 67 deg!), © be in a "classic" aurora area such as Alaska, Yukon, Scandinavia, Greenland and Iceland, and (d) be a bit patient as they come and go in the sim, perhaps like in real life...?JS

Wow, a shooting star...! I never even knew that. I must find one!JS

Hey, JimmiG:That micro text below your signature. Let me guess: Overseas National DC-10 landing at Istanbul on returning from Mecca pilgrimage about 25 years ago? I think I remember that accident precisely because of your text! (I flew Overseas National myself, EGLL-KLAX!)JS

Guest Kingair315

>>Thanks for your reply and tip.>>I just found some incredible real-life pictures of the Aurora>on the web and they look EXACTLY like MSFS. I am impressed. >I mean, the real-life colors and shapes are just as MS has>depicted them. It must be mind blowing to see them in>reality.>>This is intense!>>JS Whenever flying in AK, have seen them, most often around 2-3am... Green to Yellow in color. Flying 'round, and 'round Denali, climbing to reach the top saw them best. My brother lives in VT, and has sent me pictures he took of them there, they were Red in color. Has anyone seen them red in the FS? Bob