Sign in to follow this  
Triple7

B777 vs B744 Cruise Speed.

I've just done a trip YSSY to KLAX on a UA B744, and am wondering what the comparible trip time would be in a B777. The B744 took about 13 hours. How much lower is the cruise speed of the B777? I expect that ETOPS rules also play a part in the longer trip time for the B777, any information on route length for ETOPS vs non-ETOPS for this trip would also be appreciated.Thanks,Bruce.

Hello Bruce,I am not sure in regards to UA but in BA the mach number can vary quiet a bit on different flights, or even the same flight at different times of the day.However a very rough guide is for BA747 - 0.82-0.85777 - 0.81-0.84So as you can see there are very muchness of a muchness and therefore would suggest if they put a 777 on it would still be around the 13 hour mark.I'm afraid I dont have any info on Non-etops route for the pacific but do for the Atlantic if you would like??------------Best RegardsTriple7

Hi,Thanks very much for the information. I would love to see some of the ETOPS/non-ETOPS routing for the Atlantic when you get time.Thanks,Bruce.

Hello Bruce,Sorry for the delay been a bit busy and haven't had chance to scan this in for you.Attatched is a north atlantic plotting chart showing all the various ETOPS circles from different stations and their times.You will also see towards to top of the chart and over greenland the non ETOPS route.Unfortunatly the image doesn't come out great here due to me having to conform with size restrictions, therefore if you want to PM me your email address I'll send you a better version.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/51782.jpg------------Best RegardsTriple7