Sign in to follow this  
Fragmentum

Wings of Power P-51Released

Guest SD_Research

The tail is accurate. It was there from the outset, and is not an add-on.The plane was quite a bit lighter, and was not especially favored by pilots familiar with the D model because of concerns that it was not as rugged. However, it was quite agile, certainly as agile as the D if not more so, and was a lot faster, with 2200 HP wet.

Maybe some Ds were modified with an H tail after production but the taller tail on the H is original.The strake was a factory modification to later production D models and all H models, and may also have been retrofitted to some earlier D models in the field or during depot maintenance.The B model never featured that to the best of my knowledge.

I have modified the aircraft.cfg file so there is only 5 gallons of fuel in the center tank at all times, and this baby handles landings 'by the book'. The plane is a sweet production for flight simulation. It is lacking some areas for it to be a true reproduction and 'as real as it gets' is not totally there, but the publisher is working on a patch and getting great input/feedback at it's form site.I've been able to consistently land without bouncing and usually 'on all three' at the same time. Brakes are a bit heavy and will bring up the tailwheel so give her plenty of roll out room.The sound file is THE best I have ever heard, and I have been around plenty of REAL Mustangs in my time.You cannot go wrong with this payware production of the P-51, it is the best out there!!!!stang1.jpgstang4.jpg

Guest SD_Research

There's an update in the works which should be available soon. There are two mods to the flight model: power-off stalls are slightly softened up so you get a little more warning before the wing roll; and substantially increased propeller drag at idle or very low engine power settings. This second mod gives you a lot of engine braking during landings, but it's only noticeable below 15" of manifold pressure. The visual model gets shorter landing gear (more strut compression), and there will be two versions of the flight model available, "Combat" and "Army Surplus". The combat version will be the full military version (same as the current version) with the gun and ammo weights and full fuselage tank. The "Army Surplus" version has the gun and ammo weights removed and limits the fuselage tank to a maximum of ten gallons. It also sets the mixture to automatic. This version has lower stall speeds and is generally easier to fly due to the greatly reduced weight and because the CG is kept to the optimal position by limiting the fuel in the center tank.