Sign in to follow this  
wizza52

back to fs2004 but with some problems

Hello all! I'm new to the forum and would like some help please!!

I have recently installed fs2004 again after using fsx for a while...

My computer isn't quite up to fsx really so have come back to fs9.

I'm very disappointed because the textures in general are very poor!! Including the planes..much much worse than fsx!!!

I was surprised to see no anisotropic filtering, as in fsx...just to say I've had fs9 on this computer before with excellent results, so I don't know what's going on!

These are roughly my computer specs..

Intel 2.4 (quad core..and yes I know that FS doesn't take any advantage of multi core) processor.

ATI radeon 7700 1gb card

4 GB memory

This computer should easily handle fs2004..

Does any one have any ideas or comments on this..I would really appreciate it please cos I'm quite disappointed right now!!

Thank you.

Hi,

My FS2004 display problems vanished when I started using NVidia inspector - you should maybe download and set it up. You will find lots of tweaks and ideas on the net. On a good machine, FS2004 is not ridiculous compared to FSX (I use both).

Happy flying,

Olivier

If you are talking about ground textures (and not aircraft textures), then you may need to edit your fs9.cfg file to these or similar settings:

[TERRAIN]
TERRAIN_ERROR_FACTOR=100.000000
TERRAIN_MIN_DEM_AREA=0.000000
TERRAIN_MAX_DEM_AREA=200.000000
TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=19
TERRAIN_TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=8
TERRAIN_AUTOGEN_DENSITY=5
TERRAIN_USE_GRADIENT_MAP=1
TERRAIN_EXTENDED_TEXTURES=1
TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=9.000000
TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=9.000000
TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=4

If you mean aircraft textures too, then:

Have you gone to Options/Settings/Display/Hardware and set filtering to Trilinear, set MipMapping at 4, and turned on Anti Aliasing?  Have you also set the resolution (left box) to the highest allowed for your card and monitor?  Have you also set the Global Texture slider to Massive (slid far right)?

If that doesn't work, then turn Anti Aliasing off and set it as Override in the Catalyst Control Center (CCC).  Also try other similar settings there (Filtering, MipMapping, etc.).  Then try it with both FS and the CCC settings turned ON.  Use which is best.

Hope this helps,

Thanks very much for your reply tgibson...I've resolved my problem by updating the driver!! Must admit I didn't think that would make such a huge difference!!! Thanks again my friend.

First of all,I come from China,please forgive my poor English..........

Then,the good news is..............According what you had said,I think you will run FS2004 so well.....You can try to install REXOD+ORBX and some majorization.....I hope you will have a good result.....