Sign in to follow this  
west5786

Multiple monitors with GeForce GTX 460m Asus laptop

Hello all. I'm new to forums so I hope I am following etiquette. I have an Asus G53J with a GeForce GTX 460m graphics card with an HDMI and a VGA port. When I fly FSX I like to connect the HDMI to my LCD TV with Virtual Cockpit and drag a 2D panel onto my laptop screen for a better view of instruments. I am somewhat versed in the windows setup of multiple monitors. My problem is this. I dragged out a not-so-old monitor that connects with a VGA hoping to use this for my 2D panel instead of the laptop because it is larger. I had read on the internet that my computer could not use both HDMI and VGA at the same time for whatever reason. I played around in the screen setup of the computer hoping that I could send the signal that my laptop would normally display to the older monitor and the VC picture to my TV. Pretty much I was hoping that I could "turn off" the laptop display so the computer could display on the older monitor and the TV. Kind of trick it into thinking it was only supporting two signals or whatever. I'm no computer genius, so the closest I managed was to get my desktop on my TV and a background on the older monitor while my laptop screen went black. Thinking that this had worked I entered FSX and was in "windowed mode" or whatever its called so I could drag undocked panels to other screen. Of course, for some reason the panel would not drag to the other monitor. I have had no problems with this when doing it with just the laptop and TV. Maybe my card just isn't capable of this? If anyone has any input it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, and good flying! Again, if I posted the wrong way or in the wrong area please let me know. Like I said this is my very first forum.