Sign in to follow this  
mattius

Very Strange problem with FSX/Track IR/Joystick

I'm pulling my hair out here. Can anyone help? I have a fairly mega FSX setup. I use a lot of Orbx products. My problem is odd & is as follows.

Say for instance I am flying around say UK, NW USA or Norway then I get no problems. I also get no problems from flying in most other locations too. Anyway, recently I bought the latest version of Orbx vector which really made a difference. I thought I'd try & fly around Bergen as I went there a couple of years ago. This looked excellent. I then thought I'd check out some Greek islands. I selected Naxos as an airport, (It could have been Athens or Skiathos etc.) The airport loaded but after a few seconds my Track IR had stopped as well as one of the Axis on my joystick. I then shut down FSX BUT it did not shut down properly!! The main screen turned black, (Ipressed escape & returned to desktop. However the FSX icon was still in my task bar. I went to task manager & found that FSX was still running although I could not switch to it. The task manager did NOT say that the sim had stopped working. If I shut down FSX in task manager & then reloaded FSX then the sim works again unless I go to one of the Greek islands. There may be others but without checking them all I really can't tell. All I know is that the sim seems to work in what I perceive as most areas.

Can anyone shed any light on the troublesome problem? I really want to try & escape a re-install as my FSX dir is 170GB!!! (YIKES)! 

Update - Just tried Giza, Eygypt & Delhi, India. SAME PROBLEM! Sim seems to work fine in ORBX AREA's. Mmm, What have Orbx done to my sim?

If you are using FTX Central, open it up and go back to the default.  Restart FSX.  Shutdown.  Now go back and open up FTX Central and select World or whatever.  Most likely your scenery.cfg got corrupted.  If you are using Scenery Config Editor, a lot of people will disable the Orbx scenery there and go fly.  This will totally corrupt your installation of FTX/Orbx. 

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Slightly confused as the latest version of FTX Central does not have Default or World, it has Global. It also has a Hybrid tick box. I have changes it from Global to Europe & then back again to no avail. FTX Central verifies that the scenery.cfg is OK. If it is corrupted then how do I repair it? I just did a flight from a Non OIrbx area in Texas & that was OK??? The plot thickens..... :unsure:

Slightly confused as the latest version of FTX Central does not have Default or World

I just have the Orbx PNW sceneries and none of that Global or Europe stuff.  Therefore, my FTX Central shows something different than what your FTX Central might show.  So I was in a guessing game with my response to you this morning.  I thought it said Default/World but I just opened it up and it shows Default and North America.  In any case, FTX/Orbx sceneries must be activated/deactivated via the FTX Central utility.  If you used the Scenery Library or Scenery Config Editor, or went into the scenery.cfg to edit or remove one or two of the sceneries, then it is corrupted.  Now I did use the Scenery Config Editor to disable my Orbx scenery and this is how I intimately know your FTX scenery installation will get corrupted. What I did to fix my problem was to go into FTX Central and return everything to the Default.  Ran FSX once.  Closed FSX and then opened up Scenery Config Editor and saw the Orbx/FTX sceneries were not activated, then ran FTX Central to reenable North America (which for me activates all of my Orbx sceneries).  I didn't know FTX Central verifies that the scenery.cfg is Okay.  It does for my installation of FTX Central because I would change FTX Central to Default, then open up the Scenery Config Editor (which sees the Scenery.cfg), and the Orbx sceneries were still enabled.  I had to go through the above procedure to get it all back on track.  I think I also went into the directory with the working scenery.cfg and removed the Facilities and SceneryIndexes folders.  When you restart FSX, these folders will be rebuilt. 

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

What you suggest is not possible in my FTX Control Panel as it is different. Thought about flushing scenery indexes but got scared & have not done that....

Gotta be something in FSX. I recently uninstalled Ultimate Terrain Europe, Canada & Alaska. Wondered if that could have left  gremlin???

What you suggest is not possible in my FTX Control Panel as it is different. Thought about flushing scenery indexes but got scared & have not done that....

Gotta be something in FSX. I recently uninstalled Ultimate Terrain Europe, Canada & Alaska. Wondered if that could have left  gremlin???

The Facilities and SceneryIndexes folders deleted by many occasionally to clean up any corruption.  When you restart FSX, it's like when you install a new scenery, you will see that it is rebuilding the indexes.  If you are fearful of doing this, then simply move the folders to a temporary directory, like your Downloads directory.  If it doesn't work like I said, then you can simply move the folders back.

Ultimate Terrain is an old program and could possibly be your problem.  Simply go into your Scenery Library and disable it.  If that fixes the problem, then you know what caused it. 

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM

Pretty convinced it's not a scenery issue now. I unplugged all USB, loaded FSX & selected mouse control. Again same problems, At Compton Abbas, (Orbx UK) all controls worked. I then went to Naxos in Greece & elevators did not respond. Ailerons did briefly but then didn't. However when I exited sim it shut down properly. Weird!!

H E L P!  :Praying:

Are you still having crash or freezing problems?  You might get better response to your problems if you post in the Hardware Controllers forums.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM

Not sure why you suggest I go to hardware controllers forum as I have disabled all controllers but get same problems at certain airports only! 

I suspect it was the subject of your topic and the fact you stated "At Compton Abbas, (Orbx UK) all controls worked. I then went to Naxos in Greece & elevators did not respond. Ailerons did briefly but then didn't." This is the CTD forum, not the hardware forum. I see that you disabled all of your USB ports and used Mouse controls but why? Is there something wrong with your USB ports?

Submit News to AVSIM

SOLVED :smile:

------------

Seems to be a problem with the Nvidia 335.23 driver. I reverted to the 332.21 & now the problem is gone.  Bizzare!!!

Thanks for posting your solution. Perhaps it will help others.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM