Sign in to follow this  
Guest Bennubird

Using Approach plates

Guest Ghost

How are approach plates to be used.When using ATC, I am always vectored to my runway. When and how should I be using the approach plates?I have simcharts but find that I never use them.

Guest 737_200_Pilot

Set your visibility to 1/2 mile and you'll find out quick.

>When and>how should I be using the approach plates?Ermm... always?I find that depending on your bearing to the localizer the ATC vectoring is not exactly what I'd call... efficient. And since I don't want to lose time and fuel due to a controler vectoring me out 50 miles before vectoring me in again I always use the approach plates and appropriate STARS.If possible I request the transition I want to fly from ATC otherwise I simply ignore their vectoring and fly as published on the chart.

There is a nice, easy to use tutorial that Georges Lorsche put together for his Final Approach program, which is now freeware (good news for all those looking for freebies, bad news for those of us hoping that he would continue upgrading this wonderful program). You can find it here: http://webplaza.pt.lu/~glorsche/fatut0.htmZane

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

The FS ATC will not vector you to use approach plates. If you want to fly them yourself, you need to either ignore any of the ATC vector commands, or switch to VFR. What I do is once the ATC gives me an initial heading to turn and tells me which runway to expect, I acknowledge, then cancel my IFR flightplan. Then I just fly my approach myself on instruments. The ATC thinks I am VFR and will leave me alone. The only possible problem is that you might be denied landing clearance if the weather is poor. Of course, if this happens you can just go ahead and land anyway. :)

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

> The only possible problem is that you might be denied>landing clearance if the weather is poor. Of course, if this>happens you can just go ahead and land anyway. :) Which why this isn't a good idea. Especially when you end up hitting another Aircraft.Many of approaches have a transition via a VOR or NDB or sometimes a radial fix. And much of these are included in FS9. So all you have to do is ask ATC to give you clearance for one of those and they will vector you to that fix and then leave the rest of the approach to you. Thus you don't have to cancel an IFR plan.

Guest Bennubird

FarlisLOL...I thought I was the only one disregarding ATC vectors to Never-never-land.If you use FSNavigator you almost have to disregard ATC on approach. Ever so often ATC will get it correct. What I find is that if I disregard ATC on approach they still give me clearance when I'm in range. ATC also seems to be more accurate when you're almost on final.Bennu