Sign in to follow this  
spencerdew

New Computer and Choosing a Sim

Hey All, 

I currently run X-Plane 10 on my 2011 Macbook Pro and I want to build a new computer for flight simming. I flew FSX several years back but when I got a Mac I was forced over to X-Plane. I enjoy flying X-Plane but I am unsure if I should switch back to FSX or even pick up p3d once I build a new computer. I need some advice on building for flight sims! My current build is:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($227.99 @ NCIX US) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($29.99 @ Micro Center) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($154.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($154.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  ($85.98 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($59.98 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card  ($319.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($84.99 @ Micro Center) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($90.98 @ Newegg) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  ($19.98 @ OutletPC) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($84.98 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $1314.84

My budget is right around where I have it (1200-1300). How do you think it will handle any of the flight sims?? I would run some of the advanced aircraft (PMDG for FSX and I have flightfactor aircraft for X-Plane) along with weather and texture applications.  I really appreciate your advice. 

I have a similar set up as you. Actually I have the same processor and mobo. It handles FSX and FS9 amazingly!!! Go for it. The 770 may be a bit much but if your gonna use lots of addon scenery it will work. I got the 560ti and I stay around 40 FPS all the time even in dense scenery. The SSD may be worth it but I dont see any preformance increase with my SSD. Definately stick with Win7. Win8 has a ton of bugs when it comes to FS.

I would cut your RAM in half. 8GB's should be more than sufficient. You are making a major mistake on the cpu cooler IMHO if you plan on overclocking. Check out the Noctra D14 (see the recent post here about a fantastic cooler).

Since FSX and P3D are more dependent on the CPU and less on the GPU, another $100 will get you the i7 4770K. Here's a comparison between the i5-4670K and the i7-4770K - http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-4770K-vs-Intel-Core-i5-4670K. Note the benchmarks. Quite a difference.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thanks for the advice! I've decided to upgrade my CPU cooler as I plan to over clock (I'm now leaning toward the i7-4770k). I'm looking forward to finally putting this thing together! Thanks again!