Sign in to follow this  
jf_aero67

Missing scenery around aircraft - showing as light blue tiles

All,

Recently I noticed that scenery around my aircraft is displaying as blank light blue tiles. (See images in this post).

This occurs outside of a short radius from the aircraft. ie The immediate area around the aircraft, say 2 miles, is ok, then surrounded by a ring of blue as well as some random missing tiles further afield. It occurs in all global locations and airports - US, Australia etc. (Even in the default Friday Harbor flight now has the issue).

The blank tiles do "fill-in" when I get close to them, however at the same time, other areas "blank out".

I have a NVIDIA GeForce 555M and have reasonably good performance around 20fps.

Just prior to seeing the issue I had updated to the latest NVIDIA driver - I was forced to update the driver because a Windows 7 patching update disabled my FSX - it would refuse to load. The dreaded "An error has occurred FSX will close" on startup. Updating the video driver then solved the problem of FSX not loading.

I then ran a series of night flights and unfortunately may not have noticed if this texture issue occurred coincident with the NVIDIA driver update. Nevertheless I don't see how I can roll that back as FSX will then not load.

I am running with DX10 off as recommended by PMDG. I have tried various graphic slider settings and resolutions but the problem will not go away.

Finally, I also tried the FSX Acceleration "repair" install option, but again, no fix.

Any thoughts?

cheers

Jonathan Fyfe

2014-4-5_21-20-9-982.png

2014-4-5_21-17-2-566.png

https://www.dropbox.com/s/93eskrxlqd6qrg0/2014-4-5_21-17-2-566.png

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gqla9z3naw7y502/2014-4-5_21-20-9-982.png

a 555M probably means you are running FSX on a laptop.  If that is the case then you need to lower your scenery settings.

If you do not already have it you can also put the highmemfix=1 into your fsx.cfg and see if that helps.  Google this for details.  I am not at home so I can not tell you where in the fsx.cfg it goes or the exact spelling of the setting.

a 555M probably means you are running FSX on a laptop.  If that is the case then you need to lower your scenery settings.

If you do not already have it you can also put the highmemfix=1 into your fsx.cfg and see if that helps.  Google this for details.  I am not at home so I can not tell you where in the fsx.cfg it goes or the exact spelling of the setting.

Thanks for posting.

The thing is, I have been running for 18 months on this laptop with no scenery issues at all, achieving a pleasing 20+ fps most of the time.

I usually fly the 737NGX and have FTX scenery.

I've never had a need to run on "low" settings; I tried this in any case, and also put FSX into it's lowest resolution - but the problem is still demonstrated.

I'm going to get the laptop serviced as it had recently been running at some very high temps due to a clogged air intake - and there seems to be a hardware issue with it as I have started to experience blue screens quite often (although strangely never when FSX is running).

regards

Jonathan

Happy to report that this is issue is resolved!

While investigating, I logged in as a different user (the guest account) and ran FSX - and I was pleasantly surprised - no scenery issues, everything smooth - which was a breakthrough moment.

When I logged back in to my regular account, the issue was back.

So I went digging in the user profiles and noted in C:\Users\Jonathan\AppData\Local\NVIDIA there was a directory called "GFExperience.exe_Url_tgm3mttmt5itflhj0kykoi5xkjy53x4g" that did not exist for the Guest user. In the directory was a directory "11.10.13" and within that an xml config file called "user.config". This had a recent create date, coinciding with the time I noticed the issue. Not sure what event had created this file. 

I renamed the "GFExperience.exe_Url_tgm3mttmt5itflhj0kykoi5xkjy53x4g" directory and restarted FSX - and the issue was gone. Hope this helps someone who may have this issue.

cheers

Jonathan

Hye Jonathan,

Doing some experiments with DX 10 and thereby adjusting GFE, I have exactly the same images as you describe.

Looking at the same NVIDIA folder I do see exactly the same file, but with subdirectory "17.20.8.0" and also including a user.config.

You solved your problem by renaming the GFE.exe .... please explain : RENAMING into WHAT ???